minimalist bcd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kravi

Registered
Reaction score
So I've been feeling bulky. Wetsuit, BCD, Scuba system, computer, console, blah blah blah (this isn't meant to be hostile, just me nattering on in my own mind).

My dream of scuba is minimalism and being sleak. What are the requisites for safe diving (caveat is I'm talking warm water recreation diving, ie carribean, hawaii, red sea, etc)? Wetsuit (not always, but makes an hour long dive better), fins, scuba, snorkel, BCD, weights (belt or in BCD), SPG, dive computer (probably watch for minamlist/sleakness reasons), and knife/emt shears ('cause I'm not a complete idiot). Am I missing anything?

So how do I stay as low profile and light as possible? The only BCDs I've had exposure to are quite bulky, in the grand scheme of things. My question is: What is the least bulky BCD which works (don't need anything fancy), and whether weight belt or integrated weights leads to better hydrodynamic shape?

Please, chime in. I'd like to go out as "natural" as possible, though without sacrificing safety.

--Me

dss.jpgigc0nr.jpg
doesn't get much more minimalist than a backplate and wings

i don't use a snorkel because its annoying on my face, but a lot of people get a flexible one to store in a pocket.
and if you get an air integrated wrist computer, you can take away the SPG.
check out deepseasupply.com reliable backplate and wings

Jim is spot on with proper weighting and no wetsuit or thin ones you don't need a bc, just a backpack. That's the old school way.
Plastic Traditional Style Backplate, Piranha Dive Manufacturing
Other option is a small wing on a backplate with one piece harness. If you go with a SS backplate you shouldn't need any weight in the tropics because the steel plate weighs 6lbs

Stick with what you have until you are able to decide yourself what you require.

As long as it doesn't leek

Stick with what you have until you are able to decide yourself what you require.

As long as it doesn't leek

Finally, a post by knowone that I actually can understand, and agree with. If you want to be minimal, you probably want a bp/w, however those can be bulked up too, depending on what you feel you need to carry with you. If you feel like you need/want to add weight or cargo pockets, it might not be very streamlined anymore. Some back-inflate bcs are pretty minimal, even with pockets and weight-integration (as far as non-bp/w bc's go) but some aren't. I don't know how many dives you've done, but it may be best to dive with the bulk for a while to figure out what bulk can be removed and what can't for your type of diving. There's no point in streamlining just for the sake of streamlining (less bc, fewer hoses, etc) unless what you're doing suits your diving.

+1 on not using a bcd. When I am on vacation diving warm shallow water I bring mask, fins, snorkel, knife, flag, regulator and a commercial divers harness that can hold a tank. I rent the tank and weights when I get there.

Attachments

• IMG_1505.jpg
    IMG_1505.jpg
    313.4 KB · Views: 1,532
If you really want to go as minimal as possible, then go old school. No BC/wing, no octo, just a back plate of some kind (old school ones are fine...better IMO) then add your favorite reg (with LP inflator and octo removed) and put on a simple weight belt if you need it. Properly weighted with little wetsuit it's the most liberating diving you can do. This is the way diving was done until all the extra crap was added. There are times when you need the extra gear but for warm, easy rec dives, it's a great way to dive. To be honest, if I am diving anywhere but the quarry I do add a wrist computer, mainly for depth indication and to keep up with my time. In the quarry I don't bother with it either, can't go much more than 35 ft deep and NDLs are not an issue so it's also unneeded.

I will disagree slightly with my buddy Saxplayer, the SS may or may not be a good choice, it depends on your weight needs. At around 6 lbs neg, they are not an acceptable choice for me. In warm fresh water I dive no weight and in warm salt I use around 4-5, at 6 lbs the SS overweights me more than I find acceptable.....actually, in fresh water, the AL does too but not so much it's a problem.

I'd note that those recommending not using a BCD are all very experienced divers. Understanding the inter-play between weighting, buoyancy and safety contingency matters can mean that a suitably experienced diver can forgo using a BCD - but without that understanding, a less experienced diver may encounter difficulties that have very real safety consequences.

You might also consider a simple snorkel vest that can be orally inflated. This would not work for mid water buoyancy control but could be used in an emergency assent from shallow depths or to keep you afloat on the surface.

Reef Tourer By Tusa Snorkeling Vest

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom