To Puke in a Regulator or not to puke in a regulator....That is the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eat a diet of processed baby food before diving - lump problem sorted !

So I just got a full face mask and this thread got me thinking. This lend a whole new meaning to clearing the mask...

So I guess the ONLY option with the full face would be to remove the mask. I am going to get some instruction later this month and will definitely ask the question.

I have met people trained on a FFM and the subject wasn’t even raised! Aside from gas switching limitations, barfing is the greatest drawback. In commercial masks like the one in my Avatar, we have a freeflow valve that can empty the mask super-fast and there’s unlimited gas to do it with. Glottis control is even more critical in a FFM than a diver using a mouthpiece. The basic maneuver we used was a vertical posture in the water, yank the mask up to expose the mouth under the mask, puke, and pull the mask down and purge any water out before inhaling.

It isn’t easy in severe cases of projectile vomiting, but being acutely aware of the consequences of failure and a little practice improves the chances of success. The advantage of the surface supplied diver is voice communications will alert the tender to haul you to the surface if you go dark and the standby diver can quickly find you at the other end of the hose.

id like to see a video of someone puking in their reg, would be a funny sight im sure.

I’ve seen a mild case with lots of liquid and minimal solids. It is actually pretty uneventful looking if they’re lucky enough to do it well. The color around the bubbles just clouds up and quickly dissipates… except a lot of small fish get real friendly.

I tossed through my reg in Akumal about fifteen years ago. I was just getting over a case of 'Montezumas' Revenge' and my stomach was still a bit unstable. No problems at all. The reg passed everything easily. It was a rental reg, which made me think about how many other times this has happened. Since then, I ALWAYS travel with my own reg.

...i instruct college kids...
open waters are usually on sat. and sun. mornings
"remember,don't be overdoing it! they'll still be making beer tomorrow!!!"
nuff said right?
"heres your octo while i get the egg mc muffin outta your primary...!"
oh,the joys!

You have learned why it may not be advisable to go out in rough seas. I have never been seasick, but I have been around it plenty growing up on Oregon Ocean. Usually getting in the water helps.....

Yes I have! Never again shall I go out when the seas are larger than 2-4 feet. :) The rest of the dives went great though.

When did you dive? We were in the keys for thxgiving and the water was 7-8 ft swells. This must be a rough time of the year?

We left for Key West on Dec 5. Ocean divers said that they probably wouldn't be going out all week but the seas were supposed to be lower in Key West. After the Monday dive we stayed there another day to do the Vandenburg Wreck and some reef. The seas were only about 3-4 feet then. Today though we left early and went on 2 dives at Boynton Beach. Couldn't have asked for better weather. Calm seas and awesome visibility. Went to the Castor Wreck and saw at least a dozen very large goliath groupers. The reef dive was awesome. Blows Key West away.

There have been a few times where ive refused to let my buddy in the water because they look like theyre going to puke. One time it was a case of them sitting by the outboard exhaust for 45 minutes which resulted in them turning totally white, another was simply seasickness. After pointing out about vomiting causing dehydration, possibly asphyxiating on matter coming up or gunking up the regulator mechanism they usually came round to my point of view :D

The only time I ever puked in my regulator i had my twin-hose on so it was just a case of detaching the exhalation hose to wash the reg out before continuing up to the surface :D I remember thinking "well that's going to stink in the morning but at least its not the other end"

Sorry I missed you Tracy! Yeah, the seas have kept me on land for the last month or so! It's supposed to be clearing up through the weekend (hope, hope, hope) and I hope to launch my boat on calmer seas! :D BTW, that's not my shop! :D I dive out of it a lot since mselenaous works there (Key Largo Dive Center) so I can understand the confusion.

Timing is everything if you're going to follow Tracy's method. The reaction is to try and breathe right after you puke, which is contraindicated when the reg is not in your mouth. :D SUPPRESS the breathe reflex after you puke and everything will be all right. There is a thread somewhere on here about me diving contaminated air. I just thought it was the flu and since there were a ridiculous number of jellies everywhere, I swam back to the boat on the bottom (only 20 ft deep). Breathe, puke, repeat. It was horrible to actually dry heave under water! To be sure, I used the technique Tracy described. Once on the boat, I felt TONS better.

For anyone passing through, feel free to let me know! Perhaps we can meet for drinks?

Hey Pete,

It would have been cool to meet up. What shop do you work out of? We would have stopped by had we known. We stopped by the other shop after we got done with a shore dive at the state park. We were there trying to kill time when we saw two divers gearing up. We asked them what they were doing and they told us that they were diving from the shore. We were desperate to get wet so we went to the dive shop and rented a tank. The dive wasn't the greatest but we did get a chance to get wet and to have the opportunity to get up close and personal with a nurse shark.

I'm sure we will be down again once the weather starts to improve. Maybe we can book on your boat. I'll let you know the next time we go down.

Tracy,
I think what Pete means is, he doesn't own a shop or boat. Pete is an instructor and uses the boats out of the same shop Elena works for...Key Largo Dive Center (Mile Marker 100.6 Bayside in Plaza 101 next to Tower of Pizza) .

Back
Top Bottom