Points of failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is very useful information to me as a new diver. Thank you!

I have a question that didn't really get answered in my course. If you do your in-water buddy check and find small bubbles coming out from the valve-to-yoke connection (say a bit of dirt on the o-ring?) is it safe to dive anyway? Should you repair it immediately? Does it depend (and on what)?

Thanks for the replies.
You guys are awesome!

PS. Knowone, I'm guessing that's not tobacco :D

In general, if you notice a leak before you get in the water or upon entering the water, it is better to fix it than to dive with it.

It is not unusual for tank yoke o-rings on rental tanks to be in poor condition. It's not a bad idea to have a supply of such o-rings with you, so you can swap one out if it's leaking and a simple wipe doesn't stop it.

The natural history of MOST o-ring leaks is that they continue to leak, but the danger is that the o-ring will go completely. If you are going to take the risk of diving with a known leak, you have to ask yourself some questions: What is the level of risk of the dive? (In other words, how deep am I going to be, and is it really okay to surface anywhere on the dive?) What are my resources to manage the failure in the worst case scenario? (Do I have a redundant gas source, or a reliable buddy who is maintaining adequate gas reserves?) And what are my own personal competencies here? (Do I feel confident in doing an air-share with the proposed buddy, from the proposed depth? Would I feel comfortable executing a CESA in the event that the buddy is unavailable or unreliable?)

I have dived rigs with leaking yoke o-rings. I won't dive with ANY leak in a cave, or on a technical dive. I wouldn't be hanging around down at 100 feet with a leaking yoke o-ring, either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom