The History of the ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As someone who has enjoyed and benefitted immensely from Scubaboard, I would just like to thank you all for the wonderful thing you have created.

Only been here a short time and I can't stop reading, already learned so much.

I think every forum has the one admin with the big red pencil

:popcorn:

It's all water under the bridge, as far as I'm concerned. I don't even remember half of it anymore and have to get Joe to remind me. :D

It'll never catch on. Why bother. No one will sit in front of a computer and post about scuba diving. There's just not that much to say about it.

(I bet there was a lot of that thinking going on initially)

Welcome back, you've been missed!

Howdy Walter, it's good to see you haven't hung up your fins yet! My story is about the same as your's, life happened and got in the way of most everything else. Seems like I'm here reading everyday for the last few months though. I'm still amazed at how much this place has grown.

Itll grow more as long as we dont mentioned the move with the same name as yours :p

NetDoc:
It happened way before I owned ScubaBoard and was precipitated by an event that has never been discussed on ScubaBoard, even in the Mod Squad.

Yes, it happened before you owned the board. Of course we discussed it. While I don't remember your words, I do remember your outrage over the charges. You were not the only one who was ticked off, but because you felt personally betrayed, you were in the front of the crowd with a torch (figuratively speaking).

NetDoc:
I'm not sure you were a mod then, but it would be impossible for you to share details you never possessed.

I was a regulator at the time and while it is impossible for me to share details I never possessed, I do know why Don was banned. I also know of one member who was never a regulator who also knows the details because she was involved.

NetDoc:
While I was probably the one to share the news with the staff, I was not involved in the incident and certainly was not the one who banned Iggy nor did I want him banned.

You did share the message you received that resulted in the charges that got him banned, although at the time you didn't know who was going to be charged. Were you involved? That depends on your definition of involved. To me it seems you were involved. You didn't ban him, you were a regulator the same as the rest of us at the time. We didn't have that authority. If you didn't want him banned, you kept it well hidden.

NetDoc:
That's also incorrect. It was one of the few decisions where I acted without counsel from the Mod Squad and in spite of counsel from the Advisors at the time. There was a mod discussion after the fact, but it was my sole decision based on my communication with her after the death of Air Hog.

Maybe you would have made such a decision, but it happened about a month before you bought the board, so you didn't have the authority to do so at the time. This took place when KN & LD were still the owners but were MIA and we were running the board by votes in the back room and paying the bills by donations from regulators.

NetDoc:
As for the other mod who left, that would be their decision to reveal that information. I certainly won't.

Fair enough. I know I made no secret about why I left.

I saw a similar discussion between you two a year or so ago, and I'm guessing that this has been festering for some time. ???

To tell you the truth, new members read these posts from the two of you and are very disappointed, because you are both respected a lot.

I'm not so naive as to think everyone can bury the hatchet - some people revel in conflict and ill will - but I do think that if you can't make amends, you should at least agree to continue to hash it out privately.

And now, you can tell me it's none of my damn business. :D

It's none of your business!
But now that the laundry's been thrown against the rock, howzabout we rinse, wring & dry in the bright sun?
Or not...:)
Shall we say that the raising of the board from infancy through puberty into its mature self was not without growing pains, family arguments, mistakes, adolescent misbehavior and an occasional spanking.
We've weathered a few storms along the way, and I fought some of the design tooth & nail and lost... but on the whole I must admit that NetDoc's steady hand and solid commitment to bringing Scubaboard to the top of the heap has been a grand success, and I'm happy as can be to be a part of it. I should also mention that Walter's dogged commitment to accuracy in all things has provided solid building blocks along the way, too.
I love 'em both!
Now... let's get back in the water!
:D
Rick
I saw a similar discussion between you two a year or so ago, and I'm guessing that this has been festering for some time. ???

To tell you the truth, new members read these posts from the two of you and are very disappointed, because you are both respected a lot.

I'm not so naive as to think everyone can bury the hatchet - some people revel in conflict and ill will - but I do think that if you can't make amends, you should at least agree to continue to hash it out privately.

And now, you can tell me it's none of my damn business. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom