The History of the ScubaBoard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

isn't he dead? (someone correct me if I'm wrong).
That would be AirHog. I was mistaken when I affirmed your earlier guess via PM.

Speaking of old timers here, where the hell has Walter been? He has an Uncle Puggish quality about him. Both were great contributors.

This board changed my entire life. My OW instructor still will not visit it because of the money it cost him. SB was responsible for me learning that there were other agencies, you could buy what you wanted on line, and you could set up your own trips. It was largely responsible for me taking the instructor route I did and by allowing me to explore my creative side is a big reason for my essays, presentations, and without SB my book not only would not be going into it;s second printing but would not have gotten written at all as I would not have met the witnesses to the incident in Grand Cayman that started it all.

And I would not have made the friends I have and thanks Pete for allowing Kimber back on.

I miss Uncle Pug . . . I miss Doc Intrepid, too. Great senses of humor, both of them, and Doc was so good at word coinages!

I joined the board in 2005. I learned a ton here. I hope I've passed some of that forward.

I miss BigJetDriver. When Rob died (on a rebreather) it really affected me in a way that I can't exactly describe other than to say it cast a pall of sadness over my keyboard. We used to have fun arguing with one another over a lot of things that didn't matter and over one thing that mattered a lot. When he died my desire to 'discuss vigorously' did too.

I just couldn't post and or even do my job as a moderator. So I went diving instead. I tried on occasion to enter into discussions but just couldn't keep it up.

Scuba Board has definitely changed and Pete (NetDoc) truly did take this into kinder gentler waters. As long as there are people there will be problems but the guiding personality is a kind and gentle person.

I have come back a few times to post in the photography forum and enjoyed that. And I appreciate that ScubaBoard is still here and going strong!

Last edited:
Me too. That was a truly hard hit for all of us. We not only lost Rob, but we also lost your wisdom on the board. It was actually a double loss for most of us! Would love to see you back so I can tell you how avoiding computers will rot your brain! :D (See, somethings never change!)

Sorry for the late post, but I've been away for a while.

Joe, Thanks for starting the thread, it's been fun.

Herman:
I do have to agree with Walter however, I miss the macaws.

I have one (Thanks, Pete) now if someone will pick up the other....

Warhammer:
And HELLO GUYS! It's good to hear from you all.

Welcome back, you've been missed!

Herman:
Who else besides me still has a Wreckmania I Tshirt??

I wear mine quite often and fondly remember all the good times and people from that trip. Remember the current on that last dive?

NetDoc:
I do, I do! I was a few cars back behind a car accident shortly after getting mine and the look on the lady's face when I helped her out was priceless. She thought my hobby was helping people in wrecks. Too funny.

That's one of my favorite stories.

NetDoc:
While I was able to find Mario, I could not find Iggy. Both deserve to be a part of this community on THEIR terms.

Pete, you led the charge to ban Don. I would explain the details, but then I'd be guilty of the charge that got him banned. I was one of the few against the ban.

NetDoc:
Every now and then I exercise my veto power but that is truly rare. Case in point: TekDiveGirl. She was banned because of something her now deceased husband did from her account. In the aftermath of his death I felt that she needed community more than ever and allowed her back on.

Even that was handled by a vote. She wasn't allowed back because she needed community, but because most moderators believed she had no part in the death threats, that they were made by her husband and by her husband alone. They believed she was a victim and was not guilty.

NetDoc:
Two mods quit over that

Who besides me? I thought I was the only one.

Hank49:
Speaking of old timers here, where the hell has Walter been?

I was spending way too much time here. I'm concentrating more time to life and less to the internet. I'll still be around, but not nearly as much.

Hank49:
He has an Uncle Puggish quality about him.

Neither of us want to hear things like that.

I thank you :bounce3:

I'm only a newcomer but I already miss those whose wit and wisdom are no longer part of my scuba board experience

Pete, you led the charge to ban Don.
That's incorrect. It happened way before I owned ScubaBoard and was precipitated by an event that has never been discussed on ScubaBoard, even in the Mod Squad. I'm not sure you were a mod then, but it would be impossible for you to share details you never possessed. While I was probably the one to share the news with the staff, I was not involved in the incident and certainly was not the one who banned Iggy nor did I want him banned. Like with you, I always considered Don a friend and I wish that he had returned my calls back then. FWIW, I really hated how bannings happened before my ownership (without consultation or notice) and that was one of the first changes I initiated.

Even that was handled by a vote.
That's also incorrect. It was one of the few decisions where I acted without counsel from the Mod Squad and in spite of counsel from the Advisors at the time. There was a mod discussion after the fact, but it was my sole decision based on my communication with her after the death of Air Hog. She needed community, she still does and if the Mod Squad agreed with me: fine. If they didn't, she would still be here. There were a number of mods who did not agree, but only two who actually left over it. While I felt this was a loss for our community, it did not outweigh my moral conviction to show some compassion and reverse the Mod Squad's earlier decision. Some people see my propensity to forgive and forbear as a weakness. I see them as my strongest points and my connection with the divine. As for the other mod who left, that would be their decision to reveal that information. I certainly won't.

Reactions: D_B
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom