scuba diver body found

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Even if he has been down a while, the tank will still have a hydro date narrowing down the period a bit. It would be interesting when they make an ID to link to the old thread discussing the search or to merge the threads.

I got the call from my aunt this evening that this may be my uncle. They are currently performing DNA samples to determine but given the evidence and rcmp files they are 99% sure it is him. It has been 27 years since he went for his last dive and he didn't come back. Search and Rescue searched 3 weeks but he was never recovered. He was in an accident that left him a paraplegic and was an experienced diver. We will find out soon if this is him will finally have closure. He is an angel up above and looking down at us all.

Last edited:
Hi Marie. I saw in the news that the Coroner there was pretty certain of an ID but waiting on DNA results. Story at Body of scuba diver close to being identified - News1130

So your uncle was paraplegic after an accident but resumed diving, and was lost 27 years ago? Wow.

Well, best wishes for a comforting closure for your family.

sabs_marie,

Thank you for coming to Scubaboard and letting us know a bit more of the story (presuming the ID is correct, which sounds likely). As fellow divers it's nice to know.

I can't imagine how it would feel to wait 27 years to find out anything, and I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Have there been any updates on this recently?

also 27 years? is that a typo? even in a drysuit it's hard to believe there would be anything left to recover after that long. was that maybe 27 months? that would be more in line with earlier reports.

I found out yesterday. This was my uncle. DNA is a match. And yes, it has been 27 years. not a typo from the earlier poster. He was swept away in an under current in March 1985 during a family reunion. My whole family is at peace now. We are all happy he made it home.

I found out yesterday. This was my uncle. DNA is a match. And yes, it has been 27 years. not a typo from the earlier poster. He was swept away in an under current in March 1985 during a family reunion. My whole family is at peace now. We are all happy he made it home.
Wow, that is super news.
I got the call from my aunt this evening that this may be my uncle. They are currently performing DNA samples to determine but given the evidence and rcmp files they are 99% sure it is him. It has been 27 years since he went for his last dive and he didn't come back. Search and Rescue searched 3 weeks but he was never recovered. He was in an accident that left him a paraplegic and was an experienced diver. We will find out soon if this is him will finally have closure. He is an angel up above and looking down at us all.
I'm still curious about this, but I'm sure this is a special time for your family.
Hi Marie.

So your uncle was paraplegic after an accident but resumed diving, and was lost 27 years ago? Wow.

Thanks for sharing the discovery.

Back
Top Bottom