North Sulawesi - recommended itinerary?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Black Knight

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Where should we dive off North Sulawesi?

We have two weeks there, starting next week. We want to go to Bunaken/Siladen, and if possible, Bangka, Gangga, or Sangihe. We don't have time to visit Lembeh Strait or Wakatobi, this time. We'd prefer to move accommodation/ liveaboard only once, or at most, twice. We're not fussy about budget accommodation. I'm RD and my girlfriend is a newly-qualified OW. I'm happy with any type of divesite- walls, shore, hard or soft coral, wrecks etc.

Where do you recommend we go and for how long? Thanks for your time!

For two weeks I would do 4 days in Bunaken (stay on the island), 4 days Bangka or Gangga (if you can afford it) and then 4 days in Lembeh.
DO NOT miss Lembeh, it is only an hour and a half from Manado and it is just BRILLIANT! That way you get to see the best of all three amazing dive destinations.

The diving areas that you have mentioned in north Sulawesi are in quite a close proximity and it's very easy to get around. If you only want to opt for moving once then I'd split my time between Bunaken and Lembeh. If you like reef and fish I'd swing to longer in Bunaken, if you like macro and critters longer in Lembeh. From either Bunaken or Lembeh some resorts organise a full day trip over to Bangka but it's not so common, you could ask before you go what are the chances of getting over to this region - perhaps more likely from Lembeh - then you'll get a chance to cover all three. Wakatobi is best left to a separate trip altogether!

I would recommend
3 nights Bunaken (living Colours resort)
4 nights Bangka (Blue bay divers)
remainder at Lembeh(Nad)

or liveaboard option from blue bay divers
December 2011
01Dec2011
06Dec2011
to:Sahaung
Lembeh /Bunaken Tour

5 nights

If you like reef and fish I'd swing to longer in Bunaken,
Definitely Bangka outstands Bunaken in this respect! You could hardly name a spot with more fish than Sahaung, i won't speak about the soft coral covering every inch of the place.

Hi There,

The guys above have said some good itineraries. You might also want to consider the East side of Lembeh, it has nice corals and walls and the weather is favourable to doing this day trip at the moment.

The Wind is from a Northerly direction for the last week or so - maybe check with the operators in Bunaken how rough it is.

Living Colours and Blue Bay are also very popular resorts, wherever you head i'm sure you'll have a great time.

Hi all. Sorry for the delay in thanking you for your advice. All of your tips are really helpful. At the moment it's looking like we'll stay here in Bunaken for a week then go to Lembeh for the second week, with maybe a day trip to Bangka. As you mentioned, Benjamin, I'd like to make a special trip to Wakatobi some time in the future. We walked through the blazing sun for an hour looking st the different resorts. Never made it to Living Colours. Thanks again, all. I appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom