Weighting for tropical diving with 3/2 suit, pony bottle, AL80, 5# BP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkotheimer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a DSS Torus 26 wing on a stainless steel backplate.

As a pony tank, I use an AL13, backmounted to the right of my tank (usually an AL80). Full and with the reg, it's about 3# negative. At home here in CA, I counterweight it on the other side with 3# of lead on the cam band. With this configuration in my 7mm with hooded vest, gloves, etc. and with the SS BP, I wear an additional 8-10# on a weight belt.

Last time I dove in my 3/2 mm wetsuit with the backplate but without the pony or anything on the cam bands, I used an additional 4# on a weight belt and that felt just perfect (with an AL80 at 500psi at safety stop, etc.).

Anyway, on an upcoming warm-water trip, I'd like to bring the pony bottle. Considerations:
- I prefer to keep the pony bottle backmounted, not slung
- I cannot choose to use a steel tank on this trip - it will likely be an AL80
- I could wear my 4/3 for extra buoyancy, but that might be way too warm
- I can't spring for an aluminum or kydex plate at the moment, so it will have to be the SS

So I guess my choices are (no weight belt in any scenario):
1. Counterbalance the pony with 3# of lead and dive 2# overweighted
2. Counterbalance the pony with 3# of lead and wear the 4/3, which should work out about right (and enjoy the extra warmth)
3. Counterbalance the pony with 1 or 2# of lead and dive with the right total weight or slightly over, but also slightly out of trim

I'd love to hear suggestions as to which would be the best choice or whether there is some other way to approach this.

Thanks!

I dive a back mounted 13 cu-ft pony and generally don't try to counter weight it. I would try my first dive with no counter weight and if it didn't work, then I would just add the 3 lbs, even though I would be slightly over weighted. Being a little over weighted is less bothersome than constantly fighting the tendenacy to roll.

Tucking the pony bottle as far forward and against the backplate may help a tiny bit to not throw your balance off.

Personally, I would see if I could borrow an aluminum plate from someone for the trip and wear a 6-8 lb weight belt. It is probably safer and may be preferable to being over weighted or out of balance. Heck you can probably buy a used one for $40 or something

I dive in warm water with an SS backplate and a 19cu pony. I don't try to counter-balance the pony. I can notice a slight weight difference but don't find that I feel a roll tendency. I like my SS plate and don't mind if I am a little over weight.

Hey, dumpsterDiver and triggerman365, I really appreciate the anecdotal answers. Perhaps counterweighting isn't such a big deal when you're only talking about a few pounds, and it really isn't even an option for many others who choose to sling their pony bottles. So maybe I'll try 1-2 lbs as a compromise.

And Dr Wu, when I find an instabuddy who doesn't leave me at depth by myself while I'm trying to shoot video, I'll consider your "solution" as well. Thanks!

Hey, dumpsterDiver and triggerman365, I really appreciate the anecdotal answers. Perhaps counterweighting isn't such a big deal when you're only talking about a few pounds, and it really isn't even an option for many others who choose to sling their pony bottles. So maybe I'll try 1-2 lbs as a compromise.

And Dr Wu, when I find an instabuddy who doesn't leave me at depth by myself while I'm trying to shoot video, I'll consider your "solution" as well. Thanks!

Have the same difficulty. What did you end up doing and how was the result?

I have both and AL and SS plate. Was thinking taking both plate to the trip and rig it on the boat. I know I will be 3-4 lbs too heavy with the bailout bottle.

I wore the 4/3. Even though the water was 84F, I was diving 3-4 times a day for a week, so after the first day I welcomed the extra neoprene.

If you want to wear a thinner suit and you own an both a SS and AL BP, you might be better off using the AL BP and counterweighting the pony with 2-3 lbs on the other side of the tank.

NOTE: Along the same lines of keeping my weight even on both sides, in some situations where an ODD amount of weight seems appropriate, I've actually threaded a 1# lead weight right onto the middle of my waist belt. Just mind your non-ditchable weight.

If you want to wear a thinner suit and you own an both a SS and AL BP, you might be better off using the AL BP and counterweighting the pony with 2-3 lbs on the other side of the tank.

Thanks for the advice. That's exactly what I was thinking too.

New 3/2 wetsuit. (So more buoyant)
I have 6cft bailout bottle. (1.5 or 2 lbs negative)

With my old wetsuit I needed exactly 3.8lbs of negative weight total.

With this new wetsuit I think it will be 4.0+lbs so it makes sense.
Will add 2 lbs of weight on the left side of the backplate with some zip ties + bailout bottle which is also around 2lbs negative and should be good.

Have you guys tried slinging the bottle? There's a good reason that it's so frequently advocated. And no offense, but a 6ft bailout bottle is kind of like carrying a tiny little derringer....it might make you feel better, but if you're in a situation where you really need it, it's probably not enough. Now I've offended both small pony and gun fans.....and I don't even know if they still make derringers, so it could be the wrong analogy.

Anyhow, think about slinging a 13 or 19cft bottle; it's pretty comfortable, you easily control the valve, and you can hand it off if necessary. Lots of benefits.

I like it backmounted and out of the way. I can still reach the valve. But I do prefer the 13's size to a 6.

Hey BikerManiac, you're using zipties to attach your counterweights? I'd consider going with a single XS Scuba weight pocket. It's just neater - and easier to remove the weight(s) for transport.

Back
Top Bottom