Trigger snap instead of bolt snap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use trigger snaps on my back-up lights because they are significantly shorter than bolt snaps and, therefore, allow the light to fit better against my sholder strap. I also use them topside on my flag halyards because they fit into the flag grommets better.

It does not appear to me that a trigger snap is necessarily easier to open. With a bold snap. a little movement on the mechanism produces a little opening. Not so with a trigger snap. You have to move the trigger a good ways before it even starts to open.

The trigger acts as a lever, and so just a small force can open it up. I use one at the end of my spg to attach to a shoulder d-ring. I find you can easily fumble them open, whereas with a bolt-snap you have to bo a lot more accurate.

In any case whatever snap you use, IMHO is personal choice. If things are getting tangled then I would imagine as someone else said, you have bigger issues. Cave lines and the like would have to be extremely close to your body and there are a few other things that could cause entanglement no?

Firstly, Oswald, please remember that we are in the Hogarthian Diving forum. That assumes a certain methodology and approach forms the foundations/scope of what we are debating.

Cave lines and the like would have to be extremely close to your body and there are a few other things that could cause entanglement no?

For sure there are things that can get snagged... but they're normally easier to remove. It's a little different when the line gets 'secured' in a clip. Bearing in mind that this can happen in zero viz....

In any case whatever snap you use, IMHO is personal choice.

Absolutely. The risks for a recreational diver are minimal. Then again, if you snapped onto your DSMB line on deployment, you won't care about how minimal the risk is.

Personal choice is fine, but isn't relevant to the Hogarthian forum. Turn up for some cave or wreck diving covered in 'suicide clips' and you might find that other divers exercise their personal choice also - not to dive with you :wink:

In any case whatever snap you use, IMHO is personal choice. If things are getting tangled then I would imagine as someone else said, you have bigger issues. Cave lines and the like would have to be extremely close to your body and there are a few other things that could cause entanglement no?

In demanding environment its a team choice not a personal choice as your buddies will have to get you out troubles caused by the improper equipment choice :)

In OW rec siving I hardly see it being an issue.

Personally I prefer the cold water or "butterfly" snap. For myself up here in Canada's cold water a safety hazard is not being to unclip or clip off due to the thermal protection on our hands. Warm water stuff I change em out for smaller bolt snaps.

Almost All my buddies here in canada use the bolt snaps with dry gloves. That has been the least of "the difficult skills to learn"

few other things that could cause entanglement no?

I've done 32 dives and already managed to entangle my SMB once. The rope (it's not a line but a 1/2" fabric rope) got caught in the SMB bag (it has its own bag) and the bag got entangled with the velcro strap of my BCD.

At that time I filled my SMB by putting the reg inside (yes, I'm an idiot). So to start my safety stop, I pushed the purge and in an instant lost my reg (it went with the SMB) and then started to fly up, pulled by my SMB.

My buddy grabbed me from the ankle and I pulled my reg back, so nothing happened.

Thus, if I ask about trigger bolts and cave/wreck divers tell me it's not a great idea, my personal choice is to buy snap bolts. :)

[I'm also buying a proper SMB with a proper finger spool, btw, and learning to use it.:D]

Last edited:
Almost All my buddies here in canada use the bolt snaps with dry gloves. That has been the least of "the difficult skills to learn"

+1 If a diver is finding it difficult to manipulate a bolt-snap, they probably aren't (or shouldn't be) doing the sort of diving where a bolt snap was required. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom