Blue Heron Bridge Trolls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a toss up. The vis was good going into the high tide.. maybe with only 2 days of wind blowing it will be ok.. depends on the rain...
but that is just my guess.. Take it for what it's worth. :D

The viz was pretty similar to what was reported yesterday. A slightly cloudy 20 ft but clear enough to see
the channel fence piling outline from the south end of the wall. Within a 10 ft radius more than clear enough
to locate interesting critters. The water temp was 77F and had pretty close to 50 minute slack tide before the
water started flowing back to the sea. I had a great dive despite the windy overcast conditions topside. Not really
cold but breezy and a very light rain started about 3:00 or so.

I'm praying to the Visibility gods for this one! :p

I'd say the visibility today was less than 10'. Some spots on the incoming tide like the mirror wreck were a little clearer- Doable for sure but not by much. Nice buddy-awareness practice today tho, think of the joy 30' vis will bring!

We might show up Saturday as well. Thinking about what to bring. Is it an official "go?" Does anyone need to reserve a shelter or is it just first-come first served?

I believe it is an "official" go. Anyway, Scuba Jenny, Splitlip, Jimw and I are going. So, that right there makes it a party! As for the shelters it is first come first served. However, the homeless folks usually are there before the crack of dawn. So, that may be the problem. We shall see. We are not sure what we are bringing yet either. Everyone liked my Mac & Cheese from the last couple of years and, it does hold up well..... lol It is still good cold. There probably won't be as much food as last year.... but, still a party! See you there. All are invited.

Sat dive = 10-12 foot of viz, min to no current for most of my 3hr dive, temp was 75-77 (my computers must be married as they don't agree). Lots of divers not much macro life, but some friendly sheepshead. A lot of the pilings have lost their growth & ditto the bottom.

About a week ago I showed 74F and wondered if maybe I read it wrong but I recalled hitting my
first thermocline of sorts ever at the bridge. A very sudden noticeable swell of cold water. Todays
temps were 77F again with less viz than Saturday at about 10 foot. It is still better than a few weeks
back when it was not much more than 4 ft viz for a week or so. It will be nice to see it open up to
20-30 ft but i guess the viz in winter is not as consistently good as the summer.

Sat dive = 10-12 foot of viz, min to no current for most of my 3hr dive, temp was 75-77 (my computers must be married as they don't agree). Lots of divers not much macro life, but some friendly sheepshead. A lot of the pilings have lost their growth & ditto the bottom.

Dove this past Friday and Saturday with a couple of friends. Hadn't been down since September. Looks like a totally different dive site. The sparse growth was a surprise to me. Is that a seasonal thing? I knew the green stuff (Johnson grass, or something like that) goes away in the winter, but it seemed that the brown algae stuff that grows so thickly down near the west wall looked thin, if not dead. Found very little macro life, too. If it weren't for a few banded jawfish, I'd have had almost no fun at all. IMG_8463wa.jpgIMG_8650wa.jpgIMG_8635wa.jpgIMG_8624wa.jpgIMG_8613wa.jpgIMG_8576wa.jpgIMG_8562wa.jpgIMG_8558wa.jpgIMG_8556wa.jpgIMG_8544wa.jpgIMG_8540wa.jpgIMG_8529wa.jpgIMG_8482wa.jpgIMG_8471wa.jpgIMG_8668wa.jpg

We stayed at one of those spots on that street next to the east bridge section. Entering from there would work great if slack low were your target. However, the current is exactly wrong for diving on either side of slack high.

Haven't made a lot of progress on the pics, yet, but will see if I can post a few to get started. Oh, and the viz wasn't much fun, either. . .

Kevin
Savannah

We stayed at one of those spots on that street next to the east bridge section. Entering from there would work great if slack low were your target. However, the current is exactly wrong for diving on either side of slack high.

Kevin
Savannah

I guess that would be OK if one is doing a 12 hour dive?!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom