Tropic/Maya Air and DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The guidelines aren't "one dive - 12 hours, 2 dives - 18 hours". The 18 hours kicks in after several days of recreational diving well within "no stop" limits. More extensive diving requires 24+ hours. But remember that these are averages based on average people in good health who haven't done anything to increase their exposure (like drinking alcohol). It is a very good idea to be more prudent if at all possible.

And bear in mind that the effect of alcohol on the body is greater and longer-lasting than most people realise. After a single beer the alcohol can be detected in your body more than 24 hours later.

Ohhh. Got it. I never really paid much attention to the guidelines since it was easier to remember not to dive the day before I fly. At 54 years of age, I'm not so sure I can still qualifty as an "average person in good health," but I'm usually not much of a drinker so refraining from alcohol isn't an issue for me.

Hi Downing. Yes we offer nitrox at Splash Dive Center.
The other thing to keep in mind is that there are lots of inland adventures you can do from Placencia on the last day of a vacation here.
Regards
Ralph

You do? Is that new? I don't remember seeing any nitrox tanks last summer.

Inland adventures abound from Placencia. I may just skip diving my last day there and head for Monkey River Town as it's still on my to do list. But it's nice to know I have the option to dive, too.

I'd say play it safe and plan something else the last day we are headed to San Pedro next week and intentionally decided to book an inland tour the last day and will be going to shore by boat.
Looking foward to our overnight trip to Lighthouse and Turneffe with Island Divers hope the weather holds.

That's a great idea. I did a few of those tours on my last trip to off gas. I went to Lamanai once and then did the zoo/cave tubing tour. You will have a great time!

Aquanut - look me up while you're here. I may have a dive with you. Ask Rudy to call me.

I just got back from Belize and I think I dove with you Aquanut2. You should check out the recdivers.

On the flight to San Pedro we were at a cruising altitude of 1500ft. On the way back they stopped at another Caye along the way and had cruising altitude of 1000ft. I was checking the altimeter regularly.

Back
Top Bottom