Muscle Groups / Exercices for Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubee-do-be-do

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Anybody into working out here? I've started working out a good bit, and I'm wondering what muscles groups are most used for Scuba. I am guessing, knees, hips, back, calfs...abs?

Especially ...since I am wanting to jet some Scuba Pro Jet Fins as one of my first two pairs, (I hear they will work me pretty hard.) I'd really like to work harder on my Scuba related areas.

I'm in good shape but want to be in better. At age 56, Im 5-10, 182 and have my
6-pack abs back. I use www.bodyforlife.com as my workout program.

It seems like the fitter you are... the less you will work and use less air???

Your thoughts?

I think that your accessory muscles (posture while wearing gear out of water) will really improve by just diving

Do some shore dives and you'll have all the bases covered!

I would say the core muscles are the most important (i.e., abdominal and back), as well as the quadriceps, especially for shore diving. For propelling yourself with your fins, working on your ankles will help (not sure which exercise to do).

I haven't worked out specific muscles in a while, except chin-ups and pull-ups. However, I do swim a few times a week for a kilometer or so each swim. I'd say working your lungs and heart is also a good habit for scuba. Also, some swimming methods may use similar techniques to scuba and will strengthen muscles relevant to scuba.

I use the Jet Fins. They work me harder than my old split fins, but it's not a significant sacrifice for additional control. And yes, generally the fitter you are, the less air you'll use...BUT you also need good technique and buoyancy control to reduce your air use.

I get in a pool and do a couple miles wearing fins and snorkel gear. Just fin as hard as I can. That really prepares the legs. When we go float tubing I can go forever in the windy days when everyone else wimps out.

Abs are important for swimming (stability). Back needs work to prevent injury when wearing kit on land (esp. doubles). Legs get a good-workout if you dive often enough. Chest and shoulders helps carrying kit from your car and loading the boat.

For leg strength, I would do "box jumps" and kettlebell or dumbell explosive squats for hamstrings,glutes & quads using low weights/body weight 12-15 reps with 3-4 sets with short rest intervals of 1min. or less (helpful when dealing with strong currents). I would suggest Romanian deadlifts to focus on hamstrings. Also swimming laps trying both dolphin kick and flutter underwater(swimming on top doesn't allow enough range on the up stroke) Bicycling would also help for endurance with a motion somewhat close to flutter kicking.

Swimming and Pilates

Anybody into working out here? I've started working out a good bit, and I'm wondering what muscles groups are most used for Scuba. I am guessing, knees, hips, back, calfs...abs?
Other have already mentioned core muscles. I'd have to agree.
Leg workouts (cycling, weights, etc.) would help with stamina for fin-kicking. Arguably, the best workout for fin-kicking is fin-kicking. :D
If you are motivated enough, a triathlon-style cross-training workout schedule consisting of running, cycling, and swimming would be ideal, in my opinion. But few people have the time, motivation, and access to facilities to do all of that. Some people are lucky enough to live in an area (like San Diego) where they can do all three sports outside year-round.
Especially ...since I am wanting to jet some Scuba Pro Jet Fins as one of my first two pairs, (I hear they will work me pretty hard.)
Yeah, your legs will work harder if you're using stiffer paddle fins (such as the Jet fins) vs. plasticy splitfins. How much harder will depend on what kind of fins you're used to and how often/hard you choose to kick. For example, if you're doing a dive where you're not kicking much at all, it will make little difference what type of fins you're wearing.
It seems like the fitter you are... the less you will work and use less air???
The fitter you are...the fitter you are. :)
(By "fit," I'm referring to both muscle fitness and aerobic fitness.)
With proper technique and all other things being equal, a fit individual will probably be able to move more efficiently through the water than an out-of-shape individual. In addition, the fit individual will almost certainly be able to sustain a given effort for longer.

Air consumption during a dive is determined by so many different variables external and internal to the diver.
It's not as simple as saying that the fitter you are, the less air you'll use.

All of it is good. As a 50 year old guy that has been working out for over 25 years I can tell you that in this SCUBA hobby of ours flexibility is probably more important than strength. Any good weight/workout routine is going to do the trick but without a comprehensive stretching program its all for not. I have personally come to experience this and have since started stretching on a regular basis. The proof is in the pudding actually. I'm sure we all know both men and women perhaps weaker than us guys that lift weights but can kick our a$$e$ diving.

It's humbling ......

I'd suggest swimming and yoga. Yoga for flexibility and breathing. Now if I could only work at the swimming.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom