What do you do when you can't dive ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

After triple checking the weather and yelling about how the weather is fine and this being a conspiracy, I drag my gear back to my room, walk to the store and grab a 12 pack, and then alternate between reading on scuba board, facebook, and playing my drum set.

Same thing hapened to me a few months ago but in Florida. I arrived on Sunday about noon. I flew out next day about the same time.

The answer to the original post depends, of course, on where you are. Some dive destinations may have more alternatives than others. A couple of our favorite locations are small enough islands that it seems we can always get to a sheltered side for diving, but in other locations, we are all subject to the elements. Sometimes the only impact is changing a morning dive into a night dive, and other times it may be the loss of a day or two of diving. In those cases, we have been known to sleep in, go hiking, go zip lining, dive a cenote (where weather is rarely a factor), snorkel if there is a place sheltered from wind, and engage in personal relaxation and other activities related to meeting and learning about the people and the place we are visiting. In truth, over the past 14 years, I think we have lost maybe 3 days of diving total.
DivemasterDennis

Do what I do.

Why do they cancel dives?
Usually rough seas, so as a result, I bought a surfboard.
I now have all of the bases covered

I may get a skim board for the days that the surf is too big for my surfing skill level. (its easy to tell when the waves are past your skill level)

B******r, b********r and b*m !

Day two blown out as well - so I read a lot, helped my buddy set up his nice new shiny strobe kit on his camera and dreamt about the piccies we should have been taking, then went to the bar ! - Easterly gale blowing all day and thats the one direction which doesn't give any shelter - both coasts of the island (north and south) were undiveable, and the west coast is in a different country.

Office tomorrow - you can bet it will be fine ! - if it is I can see an early finish coming along. - hope every body else with planned dives had better luck - P

Lucky for me, there are plenty of shore dives around Vancouver Island, so even if the weather is bad, I can dive. The weather usually clears up below 30fsw. If a charter is cancelled (which happened recently actually), I can just do a shore dive if I can find a buddy willing to brave decent-sized waves, surf, and wind.

I know that when a charter is cancelled, it's for everyone's safety. And I'm not an idiot...I do have set limits to when I can dive (e.g., massive waves, surf, wind; bad weather on a night dive; lightning; and so on).

Your situations sucks, but just think that it's much better than diving in unsafe conditions and risking your life. It hurts in the long run, but you'll have plenty of opportunities later.

And to answer your main question, when I absolutely cannot dive (due to buddies or weather), I do work, surf the net, watch movies, and/or slack off in general.

Well, it isn't sea conditions but I'm in Florida taking care of Mom after surgery. Diving the Gulf side is not very appealing and I didn't bring my gear so I'm spending what free time I have filming "chicks..." of the feathered variety.

Had a similar issue in Roatan, ended up taking a tour of the island and longing to be in the water at every beautiful vista.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom