19th century wrecks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ottoman Diver

Registered
Reaction score
Galveston,TX During the summers Izmir, Turkey
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey guys and gals

Me and a few friends are interested in finding some 19th century wrecks that are in the Gulf of mexico. I have been doing some searching my self but i have not been able to find the locations of any of them. I come here seeking help.Im looking for steam ships New York and Hatteras. Does any body have any information regarding these ships that they dont mind sharing? I would greatly appreciate it.

If our search comes up with any tangible locations ill post them up on SB for every one to enjoy.

You should contact the Texas Historical Commission and the Antiquities Advisory Board for advise
(or a local fisherman in Galveston for the location)

Below is from the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement's website

"The Hatteras today rests in 58 feet of water about 20 miles off Galveston. Her 210-foot long iron hull is completely buried under about three feet of sand. Only the remains of her 500-horsepower walking beam steam engine and her two iron paddle wheels remain exposed above the sea floor.Since the site’s discovery in the 1970's, MMS has engaged in periodic monitoring of the wreck to ensure that it is not damaged by surrounding oil and gas lease development. Although the wreck remains the property of the U.S. Navy, MMS has joined forces with the THC and Texas A&M at Galveston to preserve this important archaeological treasure for posterity."

FYI, successful tomb raiders do not post on public forums :D

FYI, successful tomb raiders do not post on public forums :D

Im not trying to tomb raid i heard that most of these boats have been riaded and/or salvaged for their tresures already but i understand what you mean. Im in the search for something new. All the wrecks i do are nicely preserved i want to feel like a explorer and if i find a gold coin or two it may pay for the whole trip but they are 19th century steam ships so i doubt that they will have any. I have seen the article you posted when i was doing my search and i am happy to say i go to Texas A&M at Galvrston im going to see if i can learn anything from the faculty here.

I went to School at A&M in the Nautical Archaeology program and I used to work at the Texas Historical Commission. I know a lot about wrecks in the Gulf from the 19th century as well as steamboat wrecks from the same period up some of the rivers in texas.

What are you looking for specifically?

Layne

Reactions: Jax
The ones ladden with gold that no one has pirated.... what else would I look for? :-D

I went to School at A&M in the Nautical Archaeology program and I used to work at the Texas Historical Commission. I know a lot about wrecks in the Gulf from the 19th century as well as steamboat wrecks from the same period up some of the rivers in texas.

What are you looking for specifically?

Layne

Im not looking for anything specific i just want a chance to dive something that most people will never get to see in their life time. I would like to dive a steam boat or a old wooden ship salt water or fresh water doesn't matter for me. Something historic that i can do some research on its history would be nice.

as for the dive it self i would like it to be in rec limits but if they are deeper i am crossing over to the tech world soon so it wont be a problem.

Im not looking for anything specific i just want a chance to dive something that most people will never get to see in their life time.~snip~
I'd like to suggest coming to CSSP for your adventure. Talk about "dive something that most people will never get to see". . . last time I was there, I couldn't even see it while I was diving in it.:D So yeah, most people might never see it, but you might not either:wink:

Francousteau,
Were you out at CSSP today 11/12/2011?

Now I'm curious, was the visibility really that bad this weekend? As I mentioned in the dive conditions forums, last Friday (11/4) it was 8'+ below 10'. Yes, I understand my instructor/buddy and I were the only ones out there on a Friday, but my instructor also went out that following Sunday with a group of students and again reported decent 6-8' visibility.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Cyp

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom