Oceanic Veo 180 - Old Model?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lawtyger

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
We've been researching dive computers and today stopped by a few more LDS. One of them had an Oceanic Veo 180 for $198. If you haven't seem my other thread, I'm sort of leaning towards a wrist mounted computer and after seeing the Oceanic Veo 180 in the store my wife suggested that perhaps something along that price range would be the way to go (we've total recreational divers) for now, and then in a few months I could get another computer and pass the Veo 180 on to her.

I came home to learn more about the Veo 180 on Oceanic's site and now see it is not listed on the site so I'm assuming it was replaced by something - perhaps the Veo 1.0 (I see a Veo 2.0 and 3.0 also). Does anyone use a Veo 180? Does anyone know which new unit is the replacement?

I don't really want to buy old technology, but my wife seems to make a good point that something like a Veo 180 would be better than what I have now (which is no computer) and after using it for a while then I could look into something a bit more expensive if I still felt the need.

Thoughts or experiences with Veo 180 would be appreciated. The Veo 2.0 seems to be a little under twice the price (I think about $150 more) so I'm not sure given that difference I'd be getting that much more in a computer that would be used by a recreational noob like me.

Also, one of the LDS made a point that if my wife and I both get computers it is helpful to have the same brand. His example was you wouldn't necessarily want to have one person with a very liberal computer and another with a Suunto which is telling one diver times up and the other has a long way to go. Seemed to make sense.

Yup, it has been out of production for some time. I have 2 and found them a solid, reliable dive computers. Nothing special to brag about, just a basic nitrox computer. Its like driving a 5 year old Honda Civic, it will get you there safely, but its not sexy and won't impress others. I have 200+ dives on them so far and no issues.

+ They support nitrox to 40%
+ They sense altitude and compensate automatically
+ They have a reputation as as "liberal" computer
+ The log basic stats for the last 12 dives
+ For the price, its a nice computer.

- The download cable is expensive
- As with any single button computer, changing settings takes a few minutes

I believe the 1.0 is the closest replacement. The biggest difference I see is you have a choice on which algorithm to use.

The 2.0 is a good sized step up. Multiple buttons to change settings, deep stops, more detailed data to log,etc... Some people have complained it eats batteries.

Great information. I'm more of an Acura TL guy than a Honda Civic guy, but the Veo 180 sounds like a reliable solid computer for our uses. Given it is an outdated model, I'm no sure the price is all that great now but more in line for something that is old technology.

The Veo 2.0 would cost about an extra $150, and in that same range I saw a Cressi Archimede II that I really liked the look of. I just tried to compare that to the Veo 2.0 and they look similar but I could be missing something.

Decisions, decisions.

nice computer for the price(i paid $189 @ divers direct here in key largo). it's a backup(wrist model) to my aeris AI and has performed without issues for the past 14 months. well made, solid, entry level nitrox computer,,,

reefman
key largo

Ended up pulling the trigger for $179.95. Seemed like more than enough computer for a beginner recreational diver like myself.

does anyone find that the veo 180 is very sensitive in its assent?

It is sensitive. I don't view it as overly sensitive but a reminder on how easy it is to exceed recommended ascent rates. Been beeped at more than a few times just popping up 5-8ft, but in retrospect I was being a bad boy.

It is sensitive. I don't view it as overly sensitive but a reminder on how easy it is to exceed recommended ascent rates. Been beeped at more than a few times just popping up 5-8ft, but in retrospect I was being a bad boy.

I have the veo 200, which is the 180's smarter and multi buttoned brother, and it got me down to 30fpm ascent rate from the 60fpm that I was trained on an used untill I got a computer. If you are wearing it on your wrist, don't move your hand fast or it will get PO'ed at you.

Bob
------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

good computer in my opinion for singles or double daily dive with hours of surface intervals used it a long time without problems.

for liveaboard and many repetitive dive did get some bent symptoms while everything was OK for the compu. I will switch to a suunto RGBM for series of repetitive dives.

otherwise nicely liberal maybee too nicely it is your choice

I've been diving the Veo 200 for 7 years and have never had a problem. the download cable is waste of money, don't bother with it as the software sucks. I also found that the Veo's ascent rate alarm had a positive effect on my diving. While watching an listening to it I took note of other factors during my ascent such as particles in the water, how my ears felt, how my body overall felt, and how different gear configurations responded to changes. As a result even in no vis I have little to know problem managing safe ascent rates just by "feel".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom