Divers Reef ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knotical

perpetual student
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Just heard they are going out of business. Does anyone know if this is for real, or perhaps another prank like when they were listed on the PADI website as being for sale, but weren't.

Sam, I was there a couple weeks ago to pick up my doubles after hydro and vis, and Josh didn't mention anything. I'll call him today and see what's up.

I talked with Josh today, and Divers Reef is indeed closed. Sorry to see another good dive shop go away. They were the only shop that had Nitrox in town (the other store went to them). I hope I can find a new LDS closer than Boulder.

So, if DR is closed, what's the status of Underwater Connection?

Does UC service Scubapro gear?

My personal experience, they will claim to service anything. But beware, they destroyed a reg by improper service for several years, and claimed they did it correctly, even though records show it wasn't. I would send it off or take it north before I'd let them service anything of mine.

Regarding Nitrox, I suspect there are many locations that can get it - but don't have it in the shop. Underwater Connections took their tanks to Diver's Reef and then double the charge for Nitrox fills. Driving to Denver/Boulder for Nitrox might be enough motivation to get me to get my compressor up and running, and pumping my own Nitrox. It wasn't worth it with free air fills and $10 Nitrox fills at Diver's Reef, but maybe now, since most of my diving will be south of here, an extra 100-150 miles may make the difference.

UWC just became a Scuba Pro dealer and will be servicing Scuba Pro soon.

They are looking at different options for EAN and plan to be pumping around the first of the year.

My personal experience, they will claim to service anything. But beware, they destroyed a reg by improper service for several years, and claimed they did it correctly, even though records show it wasn't. I would send it off or take it north before I'd let them service anything of mine.

Regarding Nitrox, I suspect there are many locations that can get it - but don't have it in the shop. Underwater Connections took their tanks to Diver's Reef and then double the charge for Nitrox fills. Driving to Denver/Boulder for Nitrox might be enough motivation to get me to get my compressor up and running, and pumping my own Nitrox. It wasn't worth it with free air fills and $10 Nitrox fills at Diver's Reef, but maybe now, since most of my diving will be south of here, an extra 100-150 miles may make the difference.
No one can satisfy everyone all the time.

My personal experience goes back nearly 20 years when I shopped the three dive stores then open in Colorado Springs. The attitude in Underwater Connection seemed more like a dive club than a commercial enterprise. I chose them to certify my wife, went on several trips with them, and later went through the professional ranks with them. A telling example of attitude is that at UWC, all staff are admonished not to criticize other shops.

I no longer teach at UWC simply because I moved. I taught there as long as I did because the owner made certain that everyone on staff sincerely cared about students/customers' safety and success.

Underwater Connection’s version of Waterskier1’s experience differs from his.

Is Underwater Connection perfect? Of course not, but neither were their competitors. Only one of the three is still in business.
UWC has had the same owners from the beginning, and some of the current staff were there when I first entered the door as a customer.

I like Josh and am saddened that his business has gone under. There are some great people who worked there.

UWC just became a Scuba Pro dealer and will be servicing Scuba Pro soon.

They are looking at different options for EAN and plan to be pumping around the first of the year.

That's good to hear. We liked the folks at DR and they were always good to us. And since we don't get to the ocean very often, we liked their policy of allowing customers free use of their pool (so long as a class wasn't using it, of course...).
We've been to UWC a couple times; they changed the battery in my Stinger this summer. With the exception of one person, the people there have impressed me too. I'll have to ask abnout using their pool. And it's nice to hear that we're not going to have to drive from Pueblo West to Denver just to get our regs serviced.

Back
Top Bottom