First Dive Today (Anyone have en ENT they can refer in tampa?)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MP40

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Today I had my first open water dive at weekie wachee (part of my open water certification). The experienced was amazing to say the least! I totally see myself diving in the long run. Now the bad news...

My instructor stressed over and over about equalizing as you descend. In short, if you don't equalize on the way down, by the time you realize it its too late. I had no problem doing this in the pool albeit a little uncomfortable on the way down. Today was a different story. We were all going to dive onto a platform appx. 17 feet down. When it was my turn to descend I took my time on the way down and it seemed my ears were equalizing at first. On the way down I realized my left ear was fine but all of a sudden it felt like I was stabbed with an ice pick in my right ear. The pain was so intense I nearly had to ascend but I was able to clear it eventually and continued on.

I eventually realized blood was running down the back of my throat, and when I went up to the surface I heard a crackling/fizzing/popping in my ear for quite some (was on the surface). When time came around to go down the 2nd time I was able to successfully clear my ears after an even more painfully slow descent.

So long story short, after doing a search on here it appears some others have had similar issues. My hearing feels muffled and my ear hurts. It was recommended to those users they find an ENT that specializes in diving or one that dives them self. Curious if any of you locals (Tampa) could recommend someone? I am highly anxious that I may have an injury that wont allow me to dive again, it would kill me considering I am completely in love with scuba already!

Ouchies, sounds like a ruptured ear drum?

If so, you will be able to dive once it heals

Good luck

Thanks! The guy I spoke with on the phone was very courteous and even suggested just seeing a regular doctor first. The DAN website also has a great explanation of possible scenarios and judging from what it has to say I may not be completely out of luck. Wouldn't have ever guessed ear injuries were so common.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom