Cozumel VS. Stuart's Cove Bahamas! Which?

Which location has better diving?

• Cozumel

Votes: 15 93.8%
  • Stuart's Cove Nassau Bahamas

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So dont choose a hotel due to location cuz regardless ill have to take a short cab ride in order to get some variety / good eats?

Since nobody chimed in yet -

No not necessarily. If you stay closer to the town area you are in walking distance of a lot, (the plaza is basically considered the main land mark of 'town') but everything is relative to what you would consider a long or short walk. I've lost count how many times I've walked from the Hotel Cozumel to the plaza and back. Some people might think of that as too far, some people might think of it as an easy stroll. I've taken a cab just as many times or drove a rental car from Hotel Cozumel to the plaza, we do the walk because it's a nice night and it's nice to walk.

A good way to get pre-acclimated to where things are - go to google maps, get Cozumel to load up. Then search for 'hotels', all those dots, are hotels, you can hover your mouse over them and see the names. Next type a search for 'restaurants' all those dots are restaurants. Spend some time checking it out and you'll have a good idea where things are located in relation to each other.

If you want to go further with this, simply right click on any place on the map and select "get directions from here" on the left side screen menu click on the 'walking' icon, then right click on another spot on the map and select "Directions to here" and google maps will draw the route and plot distance and approximate walking time. (the walking time will be conservative)

For instance google maps says the walk from Hotel Baracudda to Wet Wendys is 12 minutes, from The Blue Angel Hotel to The Mission restaurant 31 minutes

We have been to both more than once and there is no comparison, Cozumel hands down!
Also in Coz you will have a huge choice if top quality dive ops, we use Blue XTSea and have never been disappointed. In Nassau your only choice (for the most part) is Stuart's Cove. Stuart also has limited dive times and large fairly crowded boats.
Not only is the diving better but the topside options are much better. Numerous great and reasonable restaurants.

Hola from a fellow SoCal'er :cool2: We are heading to Coz at the end of Nov. As far as hotel recommendations, I researched quite a few and decided on Blue Angel. Primarily our trip is diving, so it made sense. I've dove with them in the past coming over on the ferry from Playa Del Carmen, so I was familiar with the dive op and restaurant. Which brings up another point. If you have time you might want to do a Cenote dive over on the mainland, like Dos Ojos. Also, IMHO I think you might look at a couple dives in Playa. Punta Venado and the Mama Vina wreck are a couple of awesome dives. We have been hard core Playa divers, and occasional Coz divers. Both offer something different, so if you have the time...you might take a peek at both while your there :)

Hi all,

I am considering Cozumel for my diving vacation in March 2012, however, I am pretty new to diving. I heard that most of Cozumel diving is drift diving, and I was wondering how difficult the drift diving was here. Also, in the beginning of March are there a lot of college spring breakers? I prefer calm scenes over drunken college kids. thanks!

Drift diving is what I call "Lazy Diving" :D Drift diving takes a lot less effort than diving we do in Cali. I was certified in Playa Del Carmen, doing drift dives :) As far as spring breakers, I would think they hit Cancun and Playa more than Coz, but I could be wrong.

Drift diving is what I call "Lazy Diving" :D Drift diving takes a lot less effort than diving we do in Cali. I was certified in Playa Del Carmen, doing drift dives :) As far as spring breakers, I would think they hit Cancun and Playa more than Coz, but I could be wrong.

I think that is sage advice!

Hi all,

I am considering Cozumel for my diving vacation in March 2012, however, I am pretty new to diving. I heard that most of Cozumel diving is drift diving, and I was wondering how difficult the drift diving was here. Also, in the beginning of March are there a lot of college spring breakers? I prefer calm scenes over drunken college kids. thanks!

Drift diving requires learning a new set of skills. Current can be benign or a big issue, this is why dive ops won't take just any diver to the northern advanced drift dives. But all of the other 'normal' drift dives in Cozumel are doable for a beginner.

Some of the things you will learn about, experience and build skills in -

Since it's a drift dive everybody sticks together, for the most part you don't want to get too separated from the group, you will learn that how to hug the reef or duck behind something on the reef to get out of the current if you need to slow down or wait if you get ahead of the group.

You generally want to be able to get down quickly since hanging higher upon entry in the water column while the rest of the group is going down to start the dive exposes you to more current and can start separating you from the dive group. Having ear clearing problems can be an issue and keep you from the advanced dives as they require a quick descent, but for the normal dives, its really not a big issue.

The boat will follow your groups bubbles so once again, it's important to stick together, if you get separated you may have a harder time getting back on the boat at the end of the dive, having an inflatable dive sausage is a good idea to signal the boat if something happens. Most dive sites are popular and have multiple boats at them so worst case is usually you get picked up by another boat and reunited with your dive boat.

Learning to go with the current is important as swimming against it and constantly fighting it will result in fast consumption of your air supply. And of course as you'll discover this is the beauty of drift diving, simply sitting back and getting a nice leisurely tour of the reef with minimal effort.

Picture taking is another learned skill in drift diving, depending on the circumstances sometimes you just have to watch that interesting photo subject slip on by as conditions might not be favorable to being able to stop and still yourself for a shot.

Good bouyancy control is a skill that makes drift diving easier for you in everyway. Without it you risk bumping into the coral and/or not being able to dodge the current to hug the reef to get out of it.

If you're an intelligent, thoughtful diver who desires to be a better diver, I think drift diving will accelerate your course to being one because the skills you develop drift diving will apply to doing so. If you're this type of person, you won't have any trouble at all diving in Cozumel, newbies dive there all the time and quickly get the hang of things to cope with the new issues and many go on to become very skilled at it and move on to dive the advanced sites over time.

The diving in Cozumel is fantastic and there aren't too many spring breakers. You will find a lot more in the Bahamas -- I was there over 2 weeks last spring break season and it was crazyon the nights I spent in-town. But I think Stuart's Cove is a bit further away from the core hotel area where I was.

I have heard so-so things from divers I trust about non-Exumas diving in the Bahamas. I went on a live aboard to the Exumas and it was great. Highly recommend Blackbeard's http://www.blackbeard-cruises.com/

If you end up in Cozumel, definitely invest in a surface marker in case you lose the boat or vice versa, and choose an operation that sends a dive master in the water with you! Watch your depths, etc.

I will be in Cozumel January-July of 2012 so if you need a dive buddy or pointers to local restaurants, give me a shout. My son and I will be diving as much as possible. :)

-bill perry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom