"Diving for Science" might be Diving for BALLS!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LEOtheLION

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
OMG Unbelievable!

Teed off: University’s plans to expand golf course at Aquarena raising some concerns here
http://www.sanmarcosrecord.com/loca...course-at-Aquarena-raising-some-concerns-here (Link)

(From Facebook)
Oak Hill Scuba
I thought the purpose of tearing down the buildings at Aquarena was to restore it to natural landscape like it was in the 1800's. I don't think there was a golf course there back then. Come by the shop and sign our petition to stop this crazyness. Can't make it by the shop? We'll email you a signature page!

I'm flying to Oak Hill!!!

I don't know if uncapping Diversion will be part of the plan. That's where they collect salamanders for study. If I were in the marine biology department at TS, I would fight tooth and nail to keep it in place. Love to see the ugly pipe go away, but it does serve a legitimate research function.

More golf course, more fertilizer, more run off... :(

Not really the case.

First, I doubt that the habitat plan would allow the University to increase the loading of fertilizer/pesticides on the site.

Second, any drainage off the golf course has little or no impact on the area where most of the springs are located. Right now the golf course is on the far northern end of the property. All runoff goes into the slough. There is enough plant/aquatic life to absorb a considerable amount of loading before it hits the confluence of the San Marcos River. At that point, the remaining fertilizer/pesticides will travel down stream, not affecting the headwaters during normal flow conditions. During a flood event, the volume of water is so huge that the concentration of fertilizer/pesticides is so diluted that they could well be below testing detection limits. During a major flood, I would be more worried about treated effluent from down stream than runoff from the golf course.

May be a moot point:
Texas State scraps plan to develop new golf holes near Spring Lake

Says in part:
that the problem was plans for a RR overpass on Aquarena Springs Dr that would have taken out 2 holes of the golf course, 118 parking spaces and necessitated moving the Proshop. The overpass plans have been modified and the University is re-doing their master plan, reportedly scrapping the changes to the golf course. The RR changes sound a lot more disturbing than the golf course changes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom