Which second stages to use.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

a4lod

Reaction score
My tanks have been fitted with h-valves as I only dive with single tanks. For my first stages I have two SP Mk20's. For my second stages, I have a G500 & a G250. I also have a R190 - which sits at home. After reading my DIR Fundamental's book I read that one of my second stages should be a high performance balanced (I believe this was the term) second stage and the other should be a high performance unbalanced second stage (again I believe this was the term used). If this is true, should I substitute one of my 'G' second stages for the R-190? If so, which one? Please respond. Thanks.

both your second stages are balanced high performance. I believe the idea of using a non balanced second stage as your backup has to do with having a simple, reliable, detuned back up that won't free flow.

However, my opinion is that if you are happy with your second stages the way they are, why would you substitute the 190? I would leave them alone.

The G250 is my favorite regulator. I don't mind the size, and it tunes up very nice. Especially nice are the older ones with the metal tube inside instead of the more modern plastic tube.

If you have problems with free flow on your back up regulator, just turn the knob down a bit.

I only have g250's and g250v's. I don't see the point owning a low performance regulator

I like having 2 adjustable second stages so I would use the G250 as my primary and use the G500 as backup. Keep the G500 knob all the way back towards you where it is hardest to breathe and less susceptible to free flowing. Adjust the knob to your liking when you switch to it. Keep the R-190 incase you ever need it.

Yes, use the unbalanced r190 as a backup. G250s are way more finicky than 190s.

Sure. I own around 12 g250/v/hps. They require significantly more maintenance than my r190/r395s that I use as backup regs.

For a backup, I prefer a simple, highly reliable reg that will work every single time and not give me any hassles at all.

Sure. I own around 12 g250/v/hps. They require significantly more maintenance than my r190/r395s that I use as backup regs.

For a backup, I prefer a simple, highly reliable reg that will work every single time and not give me any hassles at all.
Has a g250 ever failed closed on you? I didn't think that was physically possible...

No, of course not, but I don't want my backup to fail open, either. I just want it to work, not freeflow, be easy to clear, and otherwise rock solid. It doesn't need to breath like a dream.

Backup reg needs to be like backup lights. Simple and reliable.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom