Deep Diving on Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who does wreck dives with the pony bottle sticking out like that? :confused::shakehead:
Thats his wreck speciality instructors dive. lol

He can now teach that to his students.

Hey lefty your first post was clear enough. There are many that you will meet everywhere that do the same dives you are seeing and you will continue to see them and they are called seasoned divers Which in other words are Deep Air Bounce Divers.

Let me be specific. I essentially accompanied someone who has routinely dived air to 200 ft on a bounce dive to 175 ft. It was a single tank dive that ended up lasting 62 minutes. I did not find it to be a wild idea. I'm sorry I dont post often enough for some.

Again, I'm surprised that so few people will admit they go below 130. I know it must happen.

You did that without any redundancy besides your narced buddy??? Sounds pretty "wild" to me. :no:

I rely on my equipment to get to the surface on every dive I do. Ever tried swimming in SCUBA without fins?

Context is everything. I bet a 160' dive in crystal clear tropical waters is a lot different than 160' in cold dark PNW waters.

BTW, I'm thinking of petitioning Pete to let me start a new sub forum called the "learning from others with an open mind" forum. In it, everybody will be allowed to share how they dive and ask questions of others peoples style but no one will be allowed to say their way is better than othe rest.

I know I know - that's what scubaboard is already...

Well dale hope Pete understands what should be done to make this happen for you.

I rely on my equipment to get to the surface on every dive I do. Ever tried swimming in SCUBA without fins?

Context is everything. I bet a 160' dive in crystal clear tropical waters is a lot different than 160' in cold dark PNW waters.

BTW, I'm thinking of petitioning Pete to let me start a new sub forum called the "learning from others with an open mind" forum. In it, everybody will be allowed to share how they dive and ask questions of others peoples style but no one will be allowed to say their way is better than othe rest.

I know I know - that's what scubaboard is already...

Maybe have some discussions in it on the pro's and con's of some BC's without every other post being BP/W is better and you are pretty stupid to not buy that instead. You know, because everyone that buys a BC ends up buying a BP/W later.

But the part you don't often hear about is the progression past BP/W. In my case I went from jacket - BP/W - Horse collar - nothing. Now I dive the last three on a routine basis. My current favorite is a DIY Hawaiian pack with or without a horsecollar (depending on my exposure suit). In a 3/2 wetsuit and a St 72 I need 3lb's of lead. Combine that with a single second stage and a J valve and it's about as simple and workable as it gets for CESA depth solo dives. I often flip it off, play with the valves and push it around... like a poor mans scooter.

Many others seem to be going: Jacket - BP/W - Gollam/Armadillo/Nomad/DIY (side mounting). But
Still, I know of a local diver who is probably the most prolific diver around and he uses a jacket from the late 80's or 90's. Anyone trying to suggest he didn't know better would come off looking quite the fool.

Still, I know of a local diver who is probably the most prolific diver around and he uses a jacket from the late 80's or 90's. Anyone trying to suggest he didn't know better would come off looking quite the fool.

Always funny to watch 25 year-old "zero-to-hero" Fundies grads try to deride my ol' school NAUI Course Director (with 8000+ dives) for his continued use of a BC.

Yes, it's skill that makes the diver and not his/her equipment. A good diver can maintain bouyancy, trim etc... no matter what rig they are diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom