Diver missing on Oriskany 10/22/11

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you for moderating this thread! The diver is a member of our dive club and there are still a lot of questions yet to be answered before any real discussion can happen. Everything right now is speculation. Dave and I are praying for the diver, his family, and our fellow club members on the boat. Thank you again.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Threads merged

Also helped with the search.

There was a report that someone saw a deployed bag, and the assumption was then made that he might have made a free ascent and popped a bag to sit out his deco. Usually the Coast Guard in the Pensacola Area won't do much of anything for an overdue diver, but since it was possible he was at or near the surface, they sent assets out immediately.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Attention please...

In light of the abundance of moderation action required in several of the recent accident threads and the extensive clean up needed to keep them on track, this thread is likely to be kept on a short leash. Consider this fair warning and please tone your responses in accordance with the special rules for this forum.

Reactions: Day
The search is ongoing. A family member has made a direct request that no further details be released here, and that speculation and conclusions be withheld until the search has been concluded. Notification of other family members is pending.

With all due respect, I'm making a note right now to tell my family that if I get taken in a diving accident, people on this board should feel free to speculate away about what went wrong. I say this because it would be through this board that hopefully somebody could learn something from my mistake and it could save another diver's life.

But that's just my view on it - I respect that others may feel differently.

Trish

p.s. Obviously, I'll also tell my family not to look at the board.

I'll go a step farther and specifically request that if my loved ones, friends or family specifically request no discussion or speculation in the event I die while diving, that you decline and the ban them to preserve their feelings given that they can apparently neither bear the emotional anguish of reading the thread or resist reading it.

I'd rather potential learning occur, rather than suppression of discussion, in hopes of preventing another tragedy.

------

In this case there is more information available on another forum so I'd suggest people do a google search and read elsewhere.

The family and most other people that were actually on this boat do hope other dives will learn from whatever happened. We felt it was inappropriate to declare our friend dead here, while our gear was still dripping wet and the diver has not yet been found. The Coast Guard is still searching the surface and a USAR team is enroute. When the time is right, those of us directly involved will share what we know with the blessing of the family, so that others may learn.

Thank you for moderating this thread! The diver is a member of our dive club and there are still a lot of questions yet to be answered before any real discussion can happen. Everything right now is speculation. Dave and I are praying for the diver, his family, and our fellow club members on the boat. Thank you again.

The only moderation was the merging of two threads. All posts are still here. No one has speculated anything at this point. Enough information has not been posted for that to even begin.

Hetland:
There was a report that someone saw a deployed bag, and the assumption was then made that he might have made a free ascent and popped a bag to sit out his deco. Usually the Coast Guard in the Pensacola Area won't do much of anything for an overdue diver, but since it was possible he was at or near the surface, they sent assets out immediately.

Yes, some people thought they saw an SMB. We were on another dive boat and headed in that direction to search immediately. I also thought I saw something but it ended up being the sun reflecting off of some white water on the surface and nothing more. There were over 1/2 dozen fishing boats in the area within 10 minutes of the call going out to the coast guard.

I have to admit in these days of GPS, radio, satellites, etc... I'm beginning to wonder if some type of electronic signal device should not be as standard as the buddy system. I've held off on buying a PLB waiting for the Nautilus but I'll have 1 before my next open ocean dive trip. How long until they are simply built into Dive Computers?

I have said on other threads, I am alive today because of the accident forum. The speculation about possible causes and solutions to both avoid the cause and to solve the speculative cause in another thread absolutely saved my life. My buddies left me, I was alone about to panic and in serious trouble. And I as I thought, ok this is about to be it. I went on a dive I had no business going on, I remembered a thread just a few days before and I recited what I could remember over and over again on that long trip to the surface doing a free assent with no line or visual reference. It was several minutes and looked bug eyed at my computer and kept saying the solution over and over to myself. Up to the point I got in trouble, my foolish profile was following in the footsteps of someone who didn't make it. I didn't want to finish that profile, but I was close to doing it.

I am always sorry to hear when someone loses a loved one no matter the cause in or out of the water.

And I have told my family that if I die while diving, that it is to be fully discussed and speculated about until people get tired of doing it. I will already be dead and no mean thing or kind thing done here can bring me back, but it just might allow someone else to make it back to their loved ones. I have made mistakes before and I will make them again. At some point either a mistake of mine or a mistake of someone else will get me if disease doesn't first.

I hope you all understand that there is no intention of keeping the discussion off the board, but rather a request that you not refer to the diver as having passed on until we know for sure what has happened to our friend. The fact that he was on a rebreather allows for outcomes not possible on open circuit. Please allow for some optimism, no matter how misguided you may feel it is.

Back
Top Bottom