Mammoth Lake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I'm going to have to try and get down that way sometime this summer. I need to try and hit a lot of new places to complete the Dive Across Texas thingy anyway. I really hope that the vis holds for the coming months as I know it's probably going to be mid to late June at the absolute earliest I would be able to make it down there. I think that the wife and little one may want to come along for a bit of a camping adventure. :)

I'm heading down to mammoth in the morning with my son. Can anyone provide a depth chart for the lake? My son is a Junior diver and limited to 40 ft.

Thanks!

Your son will not have any problems with lake depth. Most of the lake is 30' to 40'. The only place which is deeper is "deep hole" which a 12' diameter pipe which extends down to 60'. In other words, don't enter the pipe and you will remain above 40' :))) Mammoth lake is a great place to dive with your children.

What exactly is it that the owners could/did do in order to "clear up" the lake?

I don't remember the exact details but the owner can fill you in. It was a system of algae treatments and several airation locations. The owner seemed to know a lot about the growing cycle of algae, and what to do to thwart it. Although when I was there in early 2010 it looked nothing like these recent pics. I am super excited anytime I can "SEE" my dive buddy, much less anything else! Gonna have to go find out if the warmer weather brought the algea out. Report to follow.

We dived at Mammoth Lake yesterday afternoon and had good visibility. I am looking forward to next weekend, when we will be diving there again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom