Stuart Cove gear assistance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pardsie

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am taking a cruise to Nassau and Freeport this Christmas. I am planning a dive with Stuart Cove. My father will be diving with me. He is 69 and would very much appreciate some assistance preparing his rental gear and help putting it on and again removing it after. Is this something Stuart Cove automatically provides and or will they provide it if requested? He was OW certified 2 years ago, but has not dived since. Would a dive while in Freeport be better and less crowded?
TIA Pardsie

Maybe a refresher course in the pool at the LDS would be appropriate. I wouldn't allow anyone at my operation who hasn't dove in 2 years to even get on the boat. Can't comment on the quality of diving at Freeport vs. Nassau. I'm sure Stuart Cove's will let you hire a personal instructor for the day.

Wookie thanks for the suggestion. He did do a refresher dive in the local LDS pool. Sorry about your bettin on Obama thingy!

Just a thought. Will you be his buddy? What would stop you, as his buddy, from helping him? Why would the Operator have to do it? I highly doubt the operator would refuse to help but would recommend you bring it up before the boat leaves.

Hi,

If you are looking for TLC, Stuart Cove's is not the place to go. There aim is to get you on the boat, take you diving, get you back on the boat, and dump you at the dock as fast as humanly possible. Mr. Cove is much more interested in his bank account than your dive experience. So, be prepared to help your dad with any of his needs.

The other alternative is Bahama Divers...they are North Island, closer to the port and quite near Paradise Island, home of the Atlantis. Unfortunately, the better diving is South Island. But, for a one-day, two-tank dive, I would tend to recommend them.

Now, if you are looking for a different experience, the Stuart Cove Shark Dive is a blast. It is a two-tank dive: on the first dive, you swim with the sharks; on the second dive, you kneel in a circle of divers in a sandy "amphitheater" whilst the DM feeds the sharks. For me, the first dive is more fun because it seems more "natural". However, some folks like the feeding frenzy atmosphere of the second dive. And some folks think it non-PC and that it should be banned...

So, if your dad and you can get in some dives before you head off to the Carib...just to get back into the diving mindset...the the Shark Dive might be just the ticket. One thing to be very certain about: timing. You do not want to miss your cruise!

joewr...representing sharks, rays, and divers...please send contributions care of the Board...our work is never pro bono...

I was down with Coves this afternoon and am reminded that it's normally quieter in the PM. For this reason they often consolidate onto one boat. (About 15 guests today with four instructors, one the photographer, and TWO captains) So a busy boat, but with plenty of assistance.
This also leads to them often having students aboard, usually meaning nice easy dives.
Also, being the latter two of four dives in the day, nice and shallow for the folks who've been in the AM too.
I believe you might find it a more relaxed first experience to dive the PM if your schedule permits.

Just a thought, certainly today we enjoyed a large spread of experience/age/ training (language too!) and i dont think anyone aboard lacked assistance.
From assisting scuba unit assembly to educating three different guests on their three different computer's abilities and functions. (even changing over tanks between dives upon request, for one experienced "looking" guest)

FYI it was the last time this year i'll dive in just a rash vest, 84F on a wrist computer, chilly for me and not the best vis (80' odd). But i do believe i encountered a Sand Tiger at the BBC wreck wall......so every cloud...as they say..{Edit: Well, there you go I do believe some funny things. Subsequently i've been reliably informed it was probably a Lemon. Reminiscent of the author, perhaps.}

My experience with Bahama Divers is obsolete. I'm pleased they're getting happy customers Joewr.

Last edited:
I was diving with them for a week over the summer and had a great experience. I was taking a course so every day my instructor would have my rental gear loaded up on the boat before I even arrived. If you're just diving for a day I'm sure you can ask someone to help. There were always several employees around on the docks and usually 2+ DMs/instructors on each boat. I would just make sure you let someone there know that you might need a little extra assistance...

They try and group the cruise ship divers together so they can them back on time. They also tend to be the less experienced divers in many cases. The place is mobbed when you get there and is like a school at the end of the day. I can say on the water it is all good and underwater even better.

If you looking for personal service sometime to wind down and chat with the DM, Cove is not designed for that.

I am diving with them again at the end of Feb so I can say it was still a good time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom