Sidemount Certifications Requirements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I took my sidemount class in Open Water and we had exercises like wearing 2, dropping one, picking up and wearing stages in addition to the two, where to clip O2, hose routing, unclipping the back end and swiniging them around front to squeeze through restrictions. Its a very comfortable config once you get over the hump. It is very different in the beginning. It was the first time I ever carried 4 stages and two main gas bottles.

Sounds like a very comprehensive class. I'm curious about restrictions in Open Water, however ... how'd that work? Were they "simulated" or did you swim thru a tube or something?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Excuse me but what the hell is sidemount???? And since the air is being delivered at a pressure higher than ambient why would it matter(from an engineering/science/physics point of view) where the hell you put the tank/1st stage?

I'm sorry, but I have been out of the diving industry since 1978 and just re-entered (boy, am I having a problem readjusting to all the gear they use now). Anyway, I am not familiar with the question about "sidemount." What is a sidemount?

Here's an example - the diver has two steels and two deco bottles. In this case, the deco bottles are slung other. Many sidemounters sling their stage or deco bottles over the main tanks.

Sidemount is the best way to go doubles without carrying all that weight on your back.

20110409 SM (7) Mask swap & replace-best.MOV - YouTube

Sounds like a very comprehensive class. I'm curious about restrictions in Open Water, however ... how'd that work? Were they "simulated" or did you swim thru a tube or something?

The class was Open Water Sidemount, but we did more than the class normally calls for. I took it with two other divemaster buddies of mine and the instructor had time so we got way more than our money's worth. The open water facility we used has PVC pipe "shapes" and obstacle courses that float suspended from the bottom on wires. I have since penetrated wrecks, and even a C-130 on sidemount.

Another example. SM rocks!!!!

[video=youtube;G5F23tUQ9J0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5F23tUQ9J0[/video]

Hey, I know you! LOL Anthony, its Harbin... You should have stayed for the BBQ this Weekend. It was awesome!

This is interesting. I am going to Roatan this January (Anthony's Key Resort) and I was just told by one of the DM's there (I think he is a DM, anyway) that if I want to dive sidemount, I have to bring my side mount cert with me. I told him that I don't have a cert for side mount but he hasn't gotten back to me yet.

Maybe it is becomming more and more expected. But, I didn't even know that any company offered such a cert yet. If you look at most PADI outlets, for example, you will see all of the "normal" courses offered and, in some cases, tech courses but I have yet to see a site where a side mount course is offered. I'm not saying that they don't exist, but I haven't seen one yet.

Bert

PADI offers a sidemount certification ... the question is whether or not you have someone in your area who is qualified to teach it.

I got an IANTD card with my class. Frankly, I didn't even ask ... and wasn't expecting a card. I just wanted the skills and knowledge. It never occurred to me that someone would consider sidemount diving something you needed a c-card for ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SDI does as does IANTD, don't believe any others do. Rob Neto would probably be better for that. I have heard the PADI does or is in the works but couldn't find it online, I think there is talk in NAUI for one as well. I don't have any sidemount certs though, and won't plan to. In a situatino like that though, if you're the only SM diver on the boat you may just want to dive backmount and suck it up. Sometimes it's not worth it, especially in resort type locations

Bob: I did come across a comment or two here that PADI does offere side mount certification but I haven't been able to find anyone who offers it. Even the PADI tech outlet on Roatan (Coconut Tree) that is just down the road from where I am going has no mention of it on their website. They may offer it but they don't advertise that fact.

Tom: Yes, I suspect that you are right. I would rather dive SM with two tanks (I am still a bit of an air hog) so I will continue to push that direction but I may have to pull in my horns. It would be nice to be first in and last out on a dive for a change, though. :depressed:

Bert

a lot of the agencies require that the instructors be certified in it before they can teach it, and it's still not that mainstream yet and unless they have the push to teach it they won't. First in last out on sidemount you'll have to be with the inherent extra gear-up and break-down time in diving SM on a boat. Can't quite just jump right in and climb right out

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom