Equipment for a Tech Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First off, sidemount is arguably not the best config for open water diving with no penetration.

Secondly, it sounds to me like the instructor doesnt have access to double tanks. SIngle tanks can be easily configured for SM, plus he may get a sale of a SM harness and charge you an extra $400 for the trouble!

Entry level tec classes are really important in shaping the kind of diver you will become. Just like golf pro's and flight instructors, its important to get a good one.

I would look elsewhere if I were you.

Thanks everyone, I think we are of the same opinion. I can some value in SM if and when I start restrictive penetrations but until I prefer the back mounted doubles. I am looking at a couple of different agencies: Padi/TechRec and TDI. I have had EAN and Rebreather training through ANDI. My partner is shopping options too. I prefer actual hands on face to face training over internet/DVD training. I know I can learn a good deal from websites but I'd rather let the web sites augment what I a pereson teaches me rather than a person augmenting what I read online.

Dive Lvr

The prerequisits of SM and Deco did raise my eyebrow and make me wonder ask for a class syllabus. Thanks

I did my tec in sidemount from start all the way to TMX, but i had the option for either because our instructor is awesome. It worked out nice because i have a jacked up shoulder and the doubles were too much after the injury. Other guys did w/ BM in our group and even some SM. I've been 100% SM now last 1.5yrs even for rec dives and not going back to any other style, i'd monkey dive before putting a tank on my back again.

Sounds sketchy for it to be required find someone that can teach you several styles.

Why would you have to take the side mount course? I thought the entry level tech courses were to teach you how to dive in the gear you will be using while tech diving. Has anyone been required to take a back mount doubles class? I don't think so because this is usually covered in entry level tech classes. I think the $400 sm class is just a way to fleece you out of more money. Yes would a standalone SM class be of help if you wanted to just start side mounting? yes I think so but I would think if it is part of a tech course it should be taught with the tech course, Also I think you should have a choice of how you want to dive. Maybe you should post the instructor and dive shop you spoke with so people can e-mail there thoughts to him, that would be fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom