Anyone in the same situation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

impulse

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I just bought a BCD and I know am thinking that why the heck I did not buy a B/P wing BCD and bought a conventional one instead.

I now thinking about buying a B/P wing style BCD. This means that my newly bought and just used in a single dive BCD will be a wrongly choosen and useless BCD.

Is there anyone in the same situation out there? Does anyone ever bought an equipment and than thought that why I bought this instead of that? What would you do if you were in the same situtation? Would you go and buy what you want with compeling your budget a little more or would you just stay with the equipment that you bought racently but you suddenly happen to find yourself does not like it? Well who would like to dive with an equipment they suddenly dont like?

Thanks for your reply.

This is why I strenuously try to convince people to buy the bp/w if they ever have any desire to ever go to tech diving or just really want to hone their skills with rec diving. I see dozens of people buy a standard b/c and 3 months later sell it back to me or sell it outright to someone else or stick it in a box in the garage. And I never fail to say, "I told you so".

The simple answer is: If you can afford to do it, sell what you have, and buy the bp/w. Diving unhappy defeats the purpose of diving.

I bit the bullet and bought a BP/W and "retired" my perfectly good standard BCD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello,

I just bought a BCD and I know am thinking that why the heck I did not buy a B/P wing BCD and bought a conventional one instead.

I now thinking about buying a B/P wing style BCD. This means that my newly bought and just used in a single dive BCD will be a wrongly choosen and useless BCD.

Is there anyone in the same situation out there? Does anyone ever bought an equipment and than thought that why I bought this instead of that? What would you do if you were in the same situtation? Would you go and buy what you want with compeling your budget a little more or would you just stay with the equipment that you bought racently but you suddenly happen to find yourself does not like it? Well who would like to dive with an equipment they suddenly dont like?

Thanks for your reply.

It's a common human behavioral problem and even has a name: buyer's remorse:

Buyer's remorse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a variant of the "grass grows greener on the other side" phenomenon.

Adam

After a decade of diving pretty much everything I regret is not having bought what I truly wanted up front. Wanted the BP/W, bought the jacket first because I wasn't sure I'd need it. Wanted the can light, bought any number of lights first because I didn't think I'd night dive enough. Wanted the big computer, went through four on my way to the Shearwater.

When I think of the wasted money it makes me ill. The only advice I have for anyone inre: equipment is buy the gear for the diving that you think you're even a little bit interested in doing eventually (some day as far down the line as you can think) and then buy one better than that because odds are you'll end up spending less in the long run.

Not regards to my BCD I dont, but with regards to my computer I somewhat do. The one I bought has MOST things I need, but its missing two things that would have been nice to have - freshwater and altitude settings.
My current BCD have served me well for well over 100 dives and I haven't once thought "I should'a bought a bp/w".
I have been playing with the thought of some tec training lately though and that would mean Id have to make a switch as doubles don't fit too well on the BCD :p

When I got my BCD the B/P & W idea had only recently taken off... Years later I've still got that "traditional" BCD and while I see a lot of reasons to move, it hasn't stopped me from diving... Heck I'm a huge fan of my Ranger.

I still dive my integrated computer [backup!] but prefer the wrist mounted one I bought 6 months later [whoops!]. Have far too many bags from making one trip only to realize it wasn't right [yikes] and being too lazy to try a return. We've all double guessed a purchase and with dive gear, there's always a new route to explore or skill to learn so I doubt it could ever be "perfect".

As I see it, there's flexibility in having options. Whether it's traveling lighter or a different style at times, having a normal BCD doesn't have to be "bad". Still, if you're set on changing there's always the second hand market... like a car you take a hit for that first use but it's better than putting it on a shelf if you really don't plan to ever use the thing again.

Personally I'd say why not dive it while you decide what you want exactly, and get what else you need... Your BC is a major component but it's not the only item you need so if you start the other parts of the gear-up you can always circle back.

I just bought a BCD and I know am thinking that why the heck I did not buy a B/P wing BCD and bought a conventional one instead. I now thinking about buying a B/P wing style BCD. This means that my newly bought and just used in a single dive BCD will be a wrongly choosen and useless BCD. What would you do if you were in the same situtation?
If your new BCD is 'just used in a single dive', it is nonetheless used, and you won't lose any more value in terms of resale by diving it more. What kind of BCD did you buy? If it is a back-inflate then I see limited value in going to a BP/W immediately and spending the additional money. For that matter, even if it is a jacket style, you can still do a lot of enjoyable and productive diving. Your skill makes the dive far more than equipment.
Ted S:
Personally I'd say why not dive it while you decide what you want exactly, and get what else you need...
I agree. I started with a Ranger, then moved to a BP after 4 years, and my Ranger sits unused in a closet at the moment. But, it got a lot of use, and I would have no problem diving it today. I have a jacket style BCD, which I use for pool sessions and OW check-out dives, that I am perfectly comfortable diving under most conditions. Yes, I prefer the BP, but I honestly don't really care what equipment I am wearing, as long as it in good functional condition, it FITS ME, and I streamline it to the extent possible. Dive the BCD you bought for a while, spend the money on other gear that you might not have, and see where your diving takes you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom