Do you carry an SMB

• Yes

Votes: 173 95.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every dive - just like my pocket mask!

Don't have issues with carrying either ... fit nicely in a pocket somewhere or other ...

I always dive with SMB, whistle and mirror attached to BCD. On most dives, particularly boat dives, I also attach spool/reel and line. I also teach deployment of same equipment.

Every dive; I have one in a mesh bag attached to the BCD, between the wing and the harness. The first time I used it in anger was the first time I used it. It would have been much more effective had I gotten some one to show me how to deploy it , before I actually needed to - I over-inflated it and had to release it. Fortunately I was able to retrieve it once I was on the surface. I have subsequently learnt how to do it and practice deploying it from below the surface every couple of months

Every dive.

Learn to use it too. I've seen some hilarious attempts where people are all over the place. Some sinking, others taking a fast route to the surface and others tangled. So yeah, make it a drill to practice.

In the interest of a learning experience, here is a ...training, yes, that's the right word, training ... video.

I challence you to make it through the video without laughing!

All the best, James

:lol:

couple of tips that could help , helped me
if your doing it for the first time, do it after your safety stop , yanno, just in case :wink:
after getting neutral, rig your SMB out of corner of your eye (so to speak) while watching the particulate matter, instead of trying to hold depth with your gage .. it gives instant and direct feedback.
when filling it, and you feel it begin to tug, LET GO NOW! .... dont try to get a bit more air in it :shocked2:

Every boat and shore dive (aka every ocean dive).

Based on the results of the poll, you'd think it'd be tough to find someone *not* carrying one. However, that's not been my experience on most of the boat dives I've been on -- most either have it tucked away out of sight...completely, or aren't toting one at all...

I always carry one no matter what kinda dive it is. I feel that it is a tool that can be used for multiple purposes and it has shown its usefulness on multiple actions when I was never planning for it.

We never dive without one. Personally, I have an SMB clipped to my single BCD for travel diving and stow another in the pocket of my drysuit for local dives in my doubles. I never dive without one and we encourage all of our divers to have one. At home we do a lot of diving in the Thousand Islands which is in the Saint Lawrence River. An SMB is a must with that much boating traffic and current. Down south, who wants to be left behind if they surface away from the boat and the waves have picked up?

Plus it`s nice to give the boaters overhead a little warning so they don`t run you over. :)

For the price, there is no reason a diver should ever be without an SMB. If attached properly to your BCD (a little bungee or surgical tubing does the job) or in a pocket and you will never know it`s there when you don`t need it.

SMB = essential dive gear

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom