Article: The Fate of The U-869 Reexamined, by John Chatterton, Richie Kohler, and John Yurga

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiep3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I discovered this magazine about 4 years ago now, really enjoy it, top quality production, great contributors, just a great product. Would encourage anybody with an interest in wreck diving to check it out.:thumb:

Yeah!

nice post:cool2:...i've read the Shadow Divers book..very2 awesome story of them...:coffee:

Thanks for the post. I read read Shadow Divers a few years back and enjoyed remembering the exciting read that it was. I might actually try and find and read it again. I'm sure that it is buried somewhere in my mess.:blush:

Shadow Divers is just a great book for divers and non-divers. Funny how many divers never heard of it...

While Shadow Divers is a "good read" the reality is that it is a dramatized account "based" on a true story - not an unbiased documentary like the author and Chatterton and Kohler would have you believe. While the idea that a "circle-run" torpedo sunk the U-869 is possible, the physical evidence does not support that conclusion. Before anyone cites Shadow Divers and these articles as "fact" you should read Gary Gentile's book, Shadow Divers Exposed. While Gentile's book is not as well written or polished, and he could be viewed as having his own axe to grind, the points he make cast considerable doubt on the conclusions in the WDM article and Shadow Divers itself. Don't take my word for it, read both books and judge for yourself. The most likely cause for the sinking is two direct depth charge hits - one near the conning tower and one above the rear torpedo room. In fact, the illustration by Dan Crowell at the beginning of Shadow Divers shows just such damage and the existence of the giant "blast hole" at the rear of the U-869 is almost totally ignored in Shadow Divers.

Back
Top Bottom