My Head is Spinning! Need Help Picking A Regulator!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I second Jim's recommendation about the Hog/Edge gear.
They are very well priced and if you eventually want to get into do it yourself servicing the parts kits are available to the end user. This is a huge long term savings.

Reactions: Jax
My vote is for the Aeris Ion. Small, lightweight, perfect breathing scores, lifetime warranty, environmentally sealed, and cold water rated... Not sure that it gets much better.

+whatever for the Atomic... I have 2 x B2's, and have had nothing but success with them...

As for the cost of service, keep in mind that Atomic recommends service only once every *two* years (which effectively cuts your annual cost in half)...

I third the Edge HOG - especially the D1 cold water variety!

Because you are talking California, just get a Sherwood Brut or Blizzard. They are tried and true designs with few moving parts. Easy to service and very durable.

I think you could go with any enviomentally sealed, cold water regulator with an adjustable second stage and be happy as a recreational diver. I like my Oceanic CDX5-GT3 regulators and recommend them.

I think you should be looking for the features you want from just about any reputable company. Look for sales this winter.

If you think your diving will get into technical specialties, you might want to ask this question on one of the tech forums.

How much do you want to spend?
What brands are available close to you?
Among the nearby dealers, which do you feel is the best?

-Mitch

Thanks for the suggestions, still checking things out...
Any site recommendations besides the obvious, LeisurePro, Scuba Toys, Scuba.com???

Oh, boy, you had to ask that question. :popcorn: Not to hijack the thread, you might want to search because there are many looooooong discussions of LDS vs. LP vs. ST vs. others.

My preference is to give your local dive shop (LDS) a chance first. Depending on the quality of the store, they will give you great advice and support before and after the sale. Your experience may vary. The shop I like is not the closest one to my home but it is run by great people who are helpful, have a nice shop, have a pool I can use, and have many events and trips that are fun to join. I've purchased a good deal of goods and services there and have always received great advice and friendly service. Other dive shops I've been in have not been such a good experience.

There can be many benefits to developing a relationship with your LDS. Their prices many be higher due to overhead expenses (local building, local employees, smaller volumes, etc.) but I like to support the local guy because he supports the local community, pays local taxes, employs local people, and has a nice store where I can go look at gear, handle the gear, get some friendly advice, and meet other local divers. If I don't support the shop then he may go away and I lose having this nice local shop. Without a local shop I may not be able to get air fills or other things I need easily.

I have purchased a few items from Scuba Toys when my local shop didn't have the item I wanted. They have always given great, friendly, fast service. I understand they are an authorized dealer for the goods they sell so they can assist with warranty issues. I hear Leisure Pro is not always an authorized dealer for all the items they sell and I have heard reports of warranty issues because of this. I have not used them so this is second hand information.

Do your research, have a range of products to consider, shop around, try on the items you need, and buy smart. Smart does not always mean the lowest price ignoring all other factors. Just one man's opinion.

Totally agree with you Dean & am very aware of the battle between the refence of LDS vs. Online pricing...
Just part of the educating myself process & agreeing to purchasing from my LDS involves price comparing my purchase package to a few other options "authorized dealers"
Owner of my LDS says he's going to "take care of me" as my better half & myself will be making some total gear package purchases & also being in the stores organized dive club which gives us "further discounts"
smoke & mirrors?
Is he really... Well if I dont do my homework, ill never know...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom