Sea Cure mouth piece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MR ATOMIC:
Is there any reason not to use the "Sea Cure" molde moutpiece on a CCR DSV?

According to the factory (APD) theres a danger in increasing the WOB by having a mouthbite that allows the mouth to be closed too far. The gap between the teeth reducing the WOB.

I think theres a little bit of plastic you can use to fix the gap whilst molding.

The original YBOD mouthbite is BIG with a big opening. If I recall rightly however Mole was using a Sea Cure on his unit and was happy with it.

Ive changed mine to a FFM but with a big mouthbite (I did notice the difference when I used a smaller bite)

I dont have a sea cure as such but I do have a mouldable anatomic mouthpiece (JAX) and have had no problems at all, despite Martin telling me I would. In fact the first dive I did on it involved trying to descend the shot against a 3 knot current and I was puffing well, but RB coped far better than OC with the workload

I have a really small mouth (my dentist tells me its one of the smallest he's seen) and I just could not get on with the original mouthpiece, I used to have to use my hand to literally push bits of it in my mouth and it made my jaw ache badly

When I moulded the JAX I made sure I didnt bite hard down and to get it on the Inspiration or Bobs OC/DSV I had to mould and open up the other end

The end result is my teeth are almost nearly as far apart as they were on the original mouthpiece but the whole lot is really comfortable for long periods of time

Prior to the JAX I just used a normal generic silicon mouthpiece with the sides trimmed a little (I have to do this on most regs)

Pics as normal on my site under modifications

I have the SeaCure on a couple of my rigs (including the Inspiration.) I used them on OC and brought them with me to CCR. I think they work fine...I think it's the Posidon one that fits the Inspiration DSV. I did bite one too hard while molding it, and did notice my bite caused some breathing restriction, but was able to reheat it (as per the instructions) and re-mold it. I prefer them to anything else I've used.
Ryan

I have a friend that swears by them-- He worked for Rusty when one of his instructors took a Draeger out without permission and did the funky chicken underwater (remember that), anyways he says the only reason he lived was because of the Sea Cure mouthpiece stayed in his mouth--due to the fact that the damm thing is so BIG!

I myself gag on them.

MR ATOMIC:
Is there any reason not to use the "Sea Cure" molde moutpiece on a CCR DSV?

makes mouldable mouthpieces? I heard of one that has a plate that sticks to the top of your mouth, allowing you to open your jaw without it falling out but I have not been able to find the company that makes it. This would be particularly useful since I already have such bad TMJ.

zboss:
I heard of one that has a plate that sticks to the top of your mouth, allowing you to open your jaw without it falling out but I have not been able to find the company that makes it. This would be particularly useful since I already have such bad TMJ.

An Aqualung Comfo-Bite maybe?

Marc

FLL Diver:
An Aqualung Comfo-Bite maybe?

Marc

from the pictures I saw, it looks like it actually SMALLER than others. It looks like you just bite on it with your front teeth.

It might actually be the Manta and I got the description wrong. Does anyone have a feeling about the Manta?

zboss:
from the pictures I saw, it looks like it actually SMALLER than others. It looks like you just bite on it with your front teeth.

Did it look like this one? It's tough to see in this picture, but the is a piece that goes up and rests against the top of your mouth and holds the mouthpiece in place.

Marc

FLL Diver:
It's tough to see in this picture, but the is a piece that goes up and rests against the top of your mouth and holds the mouthpiece in place.
No kidding, Marc, makes me wonder what airhead put it on their website.
Here a visible version. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom