2 months diving in the Philipines - Jan & Feb 2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Make sure your paper(60 days visa) is in order. Get it done before leaving home.
If you can skip Davao and Siargao(never been):
Fly from Manila to Cebu and then proceed to Moalboal by v-hire. Bus to Bato and ferry to Dumaguette. Ferry to Bohol, Bus to Ubay and ferry to Southern Leyte(Bato/Maasin) and finally bus to Ormoc and ferry back to Cebu. There is no backtracking.
From Cebu take public bus to Maya and ferry to Malapascua, back to Cebu on the same route.
If you did not see any whaleshark in Sogod Bay then why not a bus to Tacloban cross over to Samar and travel up north to Allen to catch a ferry to Matnog(Luzon) and proceed to Donsol for the whalesharkS. Of course by travelling this way you will by-pass Malapascua!! BTW, while in Northern Samar you can check out Biri Scuba(never been).

I can't compare prices in Anilao to other ph sites but there is a very wide selection, from spartan dorm/hostel types that cost around PhP500 per night

Got links/info/contacts for these cheap hostel type places in Anilao. I never heard of any :idk:

I know that you can get sharing rooms in some of the (otherwise expensive) resorts - where the room cost can be split between a group (making it around 500php per person). That's no benefit for a single traveller though.

Hi All,

I've been lurking for a while, checking out all the fabulous info & trip reports you've got, but I figured it was time to actually introduce myself. I've just booked my flights to spend nearly two months in the Philippines in Jan & Feb 2012. Really excited - looking forward to some excellent diving and a great holiday.

I'm qualified to 45m with about 250 dives and currently diving most weekends here in rainy Melbourne. I'm probably going to bring most of my own equipment - although I'm willing to take advice on that.

My itinerary will be flexible, with the exception that my first stop is a week Coron because I picked up cheap flights. After that I'm currently thinking of the following:
Malapascua - 4-5 days
Moalboal - 4-5 days
Bohol - 5 days
Dauin / Dumaguete - 1 week
Davao - 1 week
Siargao - 1 week
Either Subic / Puerto Galera - 1 week

Do you think I'm trying to do/see too much? I'd be aiming to do about 5 diving days each week, give or take, and spend the other two days checking out above-water sights. I'll probably fly between destinations, but might look into ferries as well.

I'd appreciate any recommendations you can make for particular dive shops and/or accommodation. I'd like to try and keep the cost of things like meals & accommodation down so I can do more diving.

Thanks in advance!!!

I think you have the right idea, it will take a bit of planning but you can easily make all of those locations. and minimize the flying time to very few days(losing dive time).

I would be happy to help you with further planning via PM as I am sure many board members will. Let me know if you want some help.

Cheers

Thanks so much everyone - I'll spend a bit of time absorbing all the info and rethinking the itinerary. I think, though, that on the basis of the above, I might skip Davao, General Santos and Siargao etc. and try to spend a bit more time around the Visayas etc. and I'll rethink Anilao - if there are cheaper options, then it's definitely a possibility. Either that or I'll go there early, while I've still got money! :D

I'd like to keep the itinerary flexible, so I'll probably only book my first stop (Coron) since it's still in the New Years period, and CNY when I think I'll probably be in the vicinity of Malapascua or Moalboal.

Thanks again for the advice all!

As a Chinese diver, I'd suggest avoid Bohol(Alona Beach) and PG in CNY. I think you can go to Malapascua, Sogod Bay, Cabilao or Anilao since these places are remote.
Many resorts charge peak season price for CNY (like Christmas) in Bohol...

There is boat from Southern Leyte to Maya, no need to go back to Cebu.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...l-2009-malapascua-p-burgos-siq-dumaguete.html

Make sure your paper(60 days visa) is in order. Get it done before leaving home.
If you can skip Davao and Siargao(never been):
Fly from Manila to Cebu and then proceed to Moalboal by v-hire. Bus to Bato and ferry to Dumaguette. Ferry to Bohol, Bus to Ubay and ferry to Southern Leyte(Bato/Maasin) and finally bus to Ormoc and ferry back to Cebu. There is no backtracking.
From Cebu take public bus to Maya and ferry to Malapascua, back to Cebu on the same route.
If you did not see any whaleshark in Sogod Bay then why not a bus to Tacloban cross over to Samar and travel up north to Allen to catch a ferry to Matnog(Luzon) and proceed to Donsol for the whalesharkS. Of course by travelling this way you will by-pass Malapascua!! BTW, while in Northern Samar you can check out Biri Scuba(never been).

There is boat from Southern Leyte to Maya, no need to go back to Cebu.
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ph...l-2009-malapascua-p-burgos-siq-dumaguete.html
Interesting trip report BUT I am not sure which route is faster as well as convenient!!
1. Padre Burgos to Ormoc, ferry to Cebu, bus to Maya and ferry to Malapascua.
2. Padre Burgos to Ormoc, bus to San Isidro, ferry to Maya and ferry to Malapascua.
I have no wish to arrive at Maya in the afternoon and trying to catch a public ferry to Malapascua. What time is the last ferry?

The fast ferry from Ormoc to Cebu leaves at 8:20, 13:45, 19:15, unless you catch the 8:20am ferry, you have to stay overnight somewhere anyway.
There is a resort run by Bruce Lee's student in Maya. I have always wanted to stay at that resort in case I miss the last ferry to Malapascua.
Another option is to take the Cokaliong Shipping ferry from Maasin to Cebu.

I'd appreciate any recommendations you can make for particular dive shops and/or accommodation. I'd like to try and keep the cost of things like meals & accommodation down so I can do more diving.

hi katherine!

that sounds like one amazing trip.

in malapascua, we dived with Evolution Divers and stayed at Aabana Cottages

in Subic, it was with Boardwalk Dive Center

in coron, we dived with Discovery Divers and stayed in their resort. when i went back a few years later, we stayed at Darayonan Lodge.

in Puerto Galera, the budget accommodation we stayed at was Sha Che Inn. There's a lot of dive ops there but i think Sea Riders is one of those run by locals and pretty much affordable.

hope that helps!

Kevster, ever go to Alona Beach? got any recommendations if so? also wondering about the visa thing, you get 21 days on arrival or a visa for 59 days, is it better to get the visa for the 59 days and extend that if need be (I may go for 3 months) or is it better to get in on the 21 day, then apply for the 59 day when there?
Any help would be most appreciated, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom