invaders from California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba e

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello all,
I just took a job in San Antonio. I will relocate in a month, the wife to follow at the end of the year.
We do a lot of trips to the Caribbean so we are even closer now. To be honest that is the furthest I considered diving in our future as new Texans. Now that the move is getting closer and research is getting more serious I found this forum.
I dont expect to do any diving like we have here in Southern California but was wondering what to expect with "local diving" in and around San Antonio.
Some back ground;
Training level: NAUI Instructor
Dives: 1000+
Exposure suits: 3/2 full, 4mm hooded vest, 9/7/6 semidry.
Gear: tanks (steel and Alum), softweights, bc's, etc.

We are not tech divers and really have no interest.
I am a photo geek and look forward to working on my freshwater skills.
SO, any suggestions on dive shops, local dives, dives within day drive distance, overnights, etc.
Any other websites to search?
Any real estate agents out there?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Welcome to Texas and the "swamp"! I think you'll find fellow "swampers" to be a friendly and gregarious bunch, so don't hesitate to jump in and get to know some new friends.

Now, about the diving...I may have a bit of bad news for you, pardna'. It ain't California. For all practical purposes, Texas has no real shore diving along the Gulf of Mexico. Sure, there are a couple of places where it might be "acceptable", but it won't be stellar. As for as salt diving goes, the best bets are the Flower Gardens (I highly recommend a liveaboard trip out there...it's truly unique), diving some oil production platforms, and the Texas Clipper (the fourth largest "reefed" ship, located off South Padre Island). As for freshwater, there are numerous lakes, quarries, and springs, but you have to remember where you are. Vis is likely to be pretty short in comparison to what you are used to diving, typically fin-tip to a couple of body lengths, depending upon the site. In some of the springs, vis can be great, but depth will be very shallow...about 25 feet max. Temps run pretty cool, but that won't be too different from what you had in California.
In other words...you're in a new world when it comes to diving. However, I believe that, like most of our locals, you'll adapt and have fun with it. By all means, look to your fellow TSD members to help out with info, events, and suggestions.

Glad you're here!
Bill

Welcome to Texas and the Swamp, scuba e. There are some lakes that are within a 2 hour drive of SA and some spring-fed rivers. There are boats that take divers into the Gulf of Mexico out of Port O'Conner, Port Aransas and South Padre Island. There may be others as well. They dive rigs and wrecks. Just keep in mindthat we are in an extreme drought in Central Texas right now, so all lake levels are down considerably.

Like Carl said, due to the drought and other factors, the fresh water diving isn't that good right now.

As of today, the best water for photography will be in the Comal River. A shallow drift dive but the vis is good enough to minimize back scatter. I think Duggan Dives in Universal City does group dives there. Nice way to get acquainted with the river and the logistics of dive there. If I lived in the area Duggan would be my LDS.

Aquarena in San Marcos has the best water for photography. Vis is often in excess of 60'. They are currently closed for major "renovations" and are expected to reopen late spring of '12. Here is a link for the class you need to dive there, Diving for Science : Aquarena Center : Texas State University

Hate to be the bearer of more bad news... The name "Swamp Divers" should be you first clue.

I, too recommend Duggan Diving in Universal City -- you can even recreate John's patented Texas Diving Simulator in the comfort of your own home:

Step 1: Get in the shower and turn it on.
2: Have someone turn the lights out.
3: Have someone shovel dirt on you.

Pretty close to Texas Diving...

Funny; however, closer to reality than not.

As already posted, Aquarena, San Marcos is the Jewel of the Nile in this particular state. The Gulf of Mexico is pretty much a very large saltwater river, but does have some nuggets: oil rigs, Flower Gardens and the Texas Clipper, which is located in South Padre. Outside of that, I would recommend padding the hell out of your dive travel budget...

Good luck! Hook up with some Swampers when you arrive and get wet (and muddy)!

Thanks to everyone.
From what I can see the Comal River looks decent. Any life in there, or Aquarena (when it reopens)? Also, how good can vis get on the off shore options? The Clipper, the rigs, Flower gardens? And what are the temps in average?

Thanks again.

Scuba E, vis on the sites you aked about (Flower Gardens, rigs, Clipper) is usually a pleasant surprise to most visiting divers (and even some locals). Once you get about 15 miles from shore, the water out there is essentially the same that flows past the Yucatan. Therefore, vis will typically be 70 to over a hundred feet. To be honest, I can't personally vouch for the Clipper, but I've dove rigs and the FG many times. The absolute worst I've seen was 70 feet in late spring and summer, though I'm told that in winter it might be less. Most times, when we moor over the FG, you can see the bottom (80 feet down) if the wave action is slight. The notion that the Texas Gulf is "dirty" is a total misconception. Sure, runoff from shore will cloud the water along the coastal margins, but once you get out of that, it's as blue and clear as just about anyplace in the Carribean. Water temps in the summer on the FG run mid-eighties all the way to the floor (about 80 feet on average).
And by the way, the Flower Gardens is accepted by marine scientists as one of the most pristine coral environments on the planet due to its distance from shore, the protected status, and the overall lack of traffic (currently only one dive operation services the FG). Diversity is very good, and the domes are a major draw for dynamic pelagics such as mantas, hammerhead and whale sharks.

Back
Top Bottom