Newbie camera help - Canon T3i vs Canon VIXIA HF G10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PoseidonsEnforcer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Sorry for cross posting- also posted in the canon corner thread, but haven't got any replies yet.

Hi, I am relatively new to underwater photography (so pardon if any of this is dumb) and have been mainly using a Canon powershot with Canon WP-DC24 underwater housing.
I now would like to upgrade to something better and have been considering making the move to a dslr. Ideally i'd like to get something that would allow me to do some pro shots/video and possibly get paid for it!

Ideally the new camera would take:
• HD video
• Regular distance shots
• Close-up macro shots

I think I have narrowed my search down to the Canon T3i and the Canon VIXIA HF G10. I’ve read that the T3i doesn’t have an autofocus in video mode, which makes taking video tough.

My question is if the T3i will “do it all” or would I be better off getting the dslr for photos, and when the bank account recovers, get the HD video camera. This is going to be expensive isn't it...

Thanks in advance!!!

So a few things to consider; I use the T2i for above water photo and video work (it is the same camera without the vary-angle lcd screen. I would recommend you think twice about the pivoting lcd as a BIG failure point on an expensive camera. Aside from that the T2i and T3i are AMAZING and essentially the camera (they are referred to as the lil 7D as it is essentially the same camera without the dual sensors and processors.) You absolutely can auto focus in video mode although most of the time I have mine set to a hair below infinity and go with that as the sound of the lens movement can spook critters on the consumer grade lenses. So there ya have it 18 mp stills and true 30 or 60 bit @1080p and still take stills while shooting video. You will however wind up spending more on the Housing then you did on the camera and that is with out lenses and lights.......... I LOVE my T2i and would highly recommend the T2i or T3i for anyone making the transition from armature to pro! Check out Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras for some sweet new and used deals.

Hope that helps??

Brian

Thanks so much for the info! So it sounds like there is no real "need" to get an HD video camera if i go with the t2i / t3i! I've read that the t2i/t3i "heat up" after prolonged video recording especially in a housing, hopefully this is not the case. (no pun intended)

As far as housings go i was looking at Sea & Sea, Ikelite, and Nauticam. I like that the Ikelite is clear so i can hopefully spot any leaks. The Nauticam housing seems to be $1k+ more! Is it worth it? I do like that the Nauticam has an optional moisture alarm and three customizable accessory holes, so i can use my hyrdophone.

Any suggestions on what housing/lights/strobes to get for a newbie dslr setup? Or is there a thread somewhere with suggestions? I searched but haven't found quite what i was looking for.

All these options are quite overwhelming for beginners!!:(

I have never noticed any excess heating my T2i but then again I have never had it in a housing for a prolonged period of time. I know a bunch of the UW photogs I dive with (again I dont take my good camera UW) place their rigs in a cooler (usually the drink cooler. I dont know why?) on the boat on the way out to help with fogging when the camera hits the cold water. I would think this would also help with over heating?? As for housings, I have only laid eyes on the Sea and Sea/ IMHO they make the best of the best when it comes to housings. I would not put to much stock in moisture alarms cuz all that will do is tell you your get is wet. Its not like you can do anything about it at 80'. As for getting a dedicated video camera, I see more pro video guys using Canon DSLR's to shoot video (music, skate boarding, skiing climbing) then dedicated video now. That said get the right tool for the job!

I use 2 Canon SLRs underwater (7d and T2i). I have not had the overheating problem with either of them and have used them both for video on hour long plus dives, 4 dives or more a day. I have both in Ikelite housings and I personally don't feel there is a need to spend $1000+ for an upgrade. I've tested the Nauticam and I can definitely say they make great housings, but I'd rather save that money and buy better glass (again IMO). If money doesn't matter, knock yourself out on housings. As far as lighting, I use dual 161 Ikes, and dual 110 Sea & seas. I am happy with both though the Ikes are worth the extra money. The "video" part of the Ike 161 is useless for video (once again just my opinion) so don't buy these strobes with the thought that you'll cover all your bases. I have had much better results with a good custom WB in recreational depth diving than with video lights. They do work great on night dives or as an assist for focusing with macro subjects.

Most importantly though is lens choice. I use a Tokina 10-17 fisheye and canon 10-22 wa for both video and stills and I have 60mm and 100mm macro lenses. With canon you have the option of spending some extra dough and buying an L lens. I am more than happy with these lenses for UW work.

Like Riley, I also have a T2i (two). As stated the T3i is basically the same camera as the T2i. They moved a couple of buttons and added a moveable LCD. Moveable LCD is useless underwater and just another camera failure point. With the introduction of the T3i the T2i has dropped in price so in my feeble mind this is a no brainer. All the housings you mentioned are fine housings. I use the Ikelite because I am cheap. Don't forget every time you add a lens to your outfit, 9 times out of 10 you are also adding a new port to your housing. And you are going to need strobes, arms and focus light. I use dual DS-51's (adequate) and a Big Blue Focus light. For a Night Video light I use a DarkBuster HID. If you absolutley need a video light get a Sola later. If you must have top of the line strobes, You are going to pay as much for them as you did for the housing and camera. You can get what I have minus the video light for about $2600.

I LOVE my Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 and my Canon 50mm f1.4 as far as glass goes the sky is the limit! Macro lenses are next on my list!

Thanks everyone, this is some great info! I think i'll go for the t2i and the Ikelite housing since i'm just getting started. Is there a website you folks use for underwater photography tips (other than scubaboard of course)?

I think first and foremost is deciding what is most important to you, still photos or video. One thing to remember, the camera body is the cheapest part...that being said if you are going to invest in a housing, ports, lighting and accessories, doing so for an up to date camera that will last a long time is the best thing to do. If you are going for a Canon DSLR, look at the T3i, not the T2i. Housings and all accessories are the same price, so the extra couple hundred for the body itself is worth it.

Best of luck on your new adventure, its VERY addicting (as you can see already)

Back
Top Bottom