Trip Report: Montego Bay (Captain's Watersports), May 15-16, 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I should have updated this post after we dived in Montego Bay. The first day that we were there to dive is was a little windy 5-10 knots and like two foot seas at most. They freaking canceled the charter. I was like we dive 30 knot winds and much larger seas in the gulf all the time. I told them that we were still interest in diving that day even with slight seas. They refused to take us. So I found a place that would take us out. The Cari Blue Hotel and Dive Resort. It was half of the price of Capitan's and though they had a smallish boat they took only me and my wife out for the rest of the week on basically a private charter. If you ever get back there ask for my main man Rambo as a guide you will not regret it.

Thanks for the post.
I am planning to dive with Captains in December at Half Moon for a week.
I have been diving in Montego Bay several times, I can't remember great vis or healthy fish life .
Glad to hear things have changed for the better.
Any idea what the water temperature is in December? (shorty or full suit?)

Cari Blue Hotel and Dive Resort sounds good. What is their contact number?

Thanks for the post.
I am planning to dive with Captains in December at Half Moon for a week.
I have been diving in Montego Bay several times, I can't remember great vis or healthy fish life .
Glad to hear things have changed for the better.
Any idea what the water temperature is in December? (shorty or full suit?)

I don't know what the actual temp was but we were there last year a couple of weeks before Christmas and didn't dive with a wetsuit at all, although we didn't dive past 40 or 50 feet. Others had full suits rented from the resort. We were totally comfortable, dove for about 45 minutes.

To the original poster, nice video. What kind of camera did you use?

Info on the Cariblue

Dive Seaworld Resorts Jamaica Limited

Rose Hall, Montego Bay P.O. Box 610, Jamaica, W.I.

Telephone: (876) 953-2180 or 2022- Fax: (876) 953-3580

E-mail: info@diveseaworld.com

I would not reccomend staying at the hotel and the boat is fairly sketchy (capitan had to take the cover off and wind the starter cord around it each time to fire up the outboard) but it is cheap and if you pay cash they will take you wherever you want to go in whatever conditions you can tolerate. The pool is rough and The last time my wife and I dove there we were there to dive and dive only. It was only the two of us on the boat for five days. I don't remember bad tasting air but you a dive basically a private charter for two for like $70 dollars each for a two tank dive so what do you expect? Besides it's Jamiaca mon no worries.

Diving in December at Half Moon with Captains, anyone know the water temp around December?
Full or shorty?
How is Captains operation?

Thanks

G

As I mentioned, the Round Hill shop was a Captains branch and they were fine. But small, mon'... small boat, small operation.

I dove spanish anchor as well, out of Sandals at Mo Bay. I did 5 dives there and enjoyed them, We loved Sandals and I got my OW cert there. I don't have much to compare it to though. I though the dive program at sandals was very good, my instructor was a great guy.

Rhino,
Your dive-master is an interesting story and a bit of a local legend- apparently he was taught to dive by Captain Cousteau himself!
And yes, his interpersonal and/or professional skills are... dreadful. It takes a decade, but he's a sweetie once you get to know him. I guess you'd have to trust me on that...
:wink:
A

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom