SCUBA Poor :( But Happy :D

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tcbc8222

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
How many on this board are Scuba Poor? I just paid for the wife and two daughters to complete their OW courses. Now the two girls have decided, "Daddy, we want to work on becoming MSD's, will you pay for it?". I have a standing policy at home that I will pay for any "schooling" they desire. Of course... I am on the hook for equipment too. Oh... did I mention they both are in college too. So between tuition and scuba classes, well I am just like the old Jerry Reed song... "working two jobs, eating baloney" and loving every minute of it.

Is this the norm?:idk:

I feel your pain.

I have a wife and 2 daughters that dive too. Luckily I can teach them myself (not always stress free), so I only have to pay for the materials.

Unfortunately, the UAE isn't the cheapest when it comes to buying dive equipment. Simply put, there isn't enough competition to push prices down. The biggest (nr Al Khail Road roundabout, you know the one), pretty much dictates the prices in Dubai. After all, they supply the vast majority of the dive centres.

I'm guessing from where you did your training, you are in Dubai. Drop me a message if you fancy diving some of the west coast sites, now that Al Boom aren't doing boat dives on the west coast.

I'm poor because of scuba. I sometimes feel rich because I now have a nice boat and camera, but each was purchased by saving every penny for several years. I don't eat out, go to the theater or wear nice clothing. I drive a 1994 Mazda pickup with nearly 300,000 miles on it. For us, an expensive dive trip involves driving from L.A. to San Diego or Monterey. The warmest water I've dived in for the past fifteen years has been 62F. My fiancee has been saving for a new camera ever since I got mine. But you know what? I'm now diving a lot and happier than I've ever been. Priorities! :)

Not sure I see how you're "on the hook" for the gear. You pay for "any schooling" which is admirable, but gear/supplies are seperate. I'd pay tuition for a kid, sure, but they are paying if they want a laptop, etc. I survived both graduate and undergraduate w/o a computer. Same as diving, you can "survive" with basic gear. Everything else is a luxury and should come out of their pockets. I too recall another song, this one is a little older, called "Get a Job".

Im 20, and in college. My dad payed for 200 of the OW course, so the other 200 was up to me. Any additional education is my own problem. As well as gear.

You could pull the, "I'm paying for your college, you pay for the rest"

Let them pay for their gear, or else they may not appreciate it as much.
If they don't have jobs, they should get jobs, even if just part time. It's valuable life experience learning how to budget both time and money.

In their defense, college is much more difficult than it used to be (IMO), so the homework load is probably greater. But hey, I said part time. And most older folks that took the ''easier'' college many years ago worked full time, if not full time + part time jobs. So it equals out

If they are "hooked", you've got dive buddies for life. That's awesome!:D
College kids need part time jobs, recommend they work as "tank slaves" at local dive shop...at least their gear purchases will be discounted and continuing education is usually a great perk (many just have to pay costs for materials, etc. to join ongoing classes).

Problem is once they get the bug, they will want to travel too and you will want to go with them.
Travel VISA=credit card VISA :wink: (or AMEX, Mastercard, etc....)

IJS, it's an infectious disease!

OTOH,
There are marine science type internships available where they can further their educations while diving (not most of these don't pay, but they get to dive and learn).

BTW, I learned to dive while I was in college in 1983 (I did work 3 parttime jobs to help pay for my education)..."Mom & Dad I HAVE to get scuba certified to take this Marine Science class for my major"...:D:rofl3::wink:

Little did any of us know that decades later, I'd be working as a dive pro.

Be proud of your kids, dive often with your family (while living on ramen noodles, PB&J sandwiches). The memories are so worth it.

my saying is"i can always make more money"
i cant however wish that i had better memories!
enjoy it with them!!!knowledge and experience can never be taken away!!!
...and you can always make more money...
have fun
yaeg

How many on this board are Scuba Poor? I just paid for the wife and two daughters to complete their OW courses. Now the two girls have decided, "Daddy, we want to work on becoming MSD's, will you pay for it?". I have a standing policy at home that I will pay for any "schooling" they desire. Of course... I am on the hook for equipment too. Oh... did I mention they both are in college too. So between tuition and scuba classes, well I am just like the old Jerry Reed song... "working two jobs, eating baloney" and loving every minute of it.

Is this the norm?:idk:

Yeah, but on the other hand - is there anything you would rather spend your money on? :idk:

I always try to rationalise it as: hey, how much money do I really need to have left over when I die anyhow?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom