When harbor seals attack

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chavodel8en

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Berkeley man bitten by harbor seal in San Francisco Bay | abc7news.com

and we always thought they were cute. if they ever develop the taste for human flesh, scuba diving as we know it will be over.

speaking seriously, that would be pretty scary to be bitten by a seal. Looks like the swimmer handled it well. They may be small, but i imagine they could do alot of damage if they wanted too. Thank god that most of them just want to tug on your fin.

The diver working for National Geographic filming Emperor Penguins, had a seal take pity on him, tried to "feed" him dead penguins!

[video=youtube;Zxa6P73Awcg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zxa6P73Awcg[/video]

I still have teeth marks on my drysuit arm from a sealion bite off the rookery at Santa Barbara Island. Things happen in the water.

The problem is that Sea Lions are used to nipping each other to show displeasure. That nip on a human is a little more painful, as we don't have the blubber . . .

Berkeley man bitten by harbor seal in San Francisco Bay | abc7news.com

and we always thought they were cute. if they ever develop the taste for human flesh, scuba diving as we know it will be over.

speaking seriously, that would be pretty scary to be bitten by a seal. Looks like the swimmer handled it well. They may be small, but i imagine they could do alot of damage if they wanted too. Thank god that most of them just want to tug on your fin.
They are still cute.... just need to be careful.

The damn otter left teeth marks in my Jet fin! It was cute too.

I have had harbor seals bite my fins and rub against me a number of times. They are cute and have just been playful. But I have had some aggressive sea lions get in my face bark underwater and blow bubbles in my face. Most just look at you and swim away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom