St. Lawrence River temperature

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the Keystorm and Vickery on the 25th
We clearly saw 2 cases of Gobies eating zebra mussels and I can say, "damn, they are getting big".
On the Vickery they stayed in the rocks near the line going to the buoy and inside the wreck.
In the wreck they were easily a foot long or more and fat.

This year I noticed black gobies as well as the usual colour....the black ones are bigger, and I've seen them at Tobermory as well as in the St. Lawrence at Ivy Lea.

Full thread redirection:

Isn't the main problem that the gobies eat other fishes eggs? Therefore they have no predator? No clue.:confused:

Thanks Mike T. That Lake Ontario Food Web is very helpful. It looks like gobies are eaten by some of the larger fish. The only problem is, I see way more gobies than any of it's (unnatural) predators...

Hey Steve, I was there too but I didn't see you. I had a group of 13 and some of us were on the upper deck for the fireworks, had most of our meals inside and outside, and danced up a storm in the bar Sat night. I suggested hammocks to Mark to complete the experience by the river, in addition to a clean and ready pool and hot tub, of course! Maybe I'll see you another time... :)

I dived on the Daryaw this Sunday. Water temps were amazing. 60+
I dive in a trilam drysuit and I only put the underarmor, my wrist leaked and I still didn't feel cold at all even with 2in of water in my boot.
I wish I had a spare 5mm wetsuit sometimes.
Visibility was poor and current was strong though.

@shoredivr I saw the black gobies you mentioned.
The white ones have the distinctive White/black spot on the back.
While the black one looks a bit different. The eyes aren't as big and the coloring isn't just a white "darker" but really "looks" like a different species or coloring altogether. The also don't have the spot on the back.

Yes, dove the Lock 21 too on Sunday, forgot to post.
couldn't say about the temp but visibility was really crappy, I'd say (10') is being generous.
Had to keep buddy at arm's length to see him. Finding the "towers" in front of the lock was a stroke of pure luck.

September 10th, 2011 - 19:30 hours, drift dive (Alexandria Bay, NY) - pretty constant temp to 80 feet, 64 degrees. visibility was pretty good - sometimes up to 25 feet.

Anyone else depressed that the water temp is going down? Haven't seen over 70 for almost a week now :crying:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom