MY WIFEs BCD - brand new and she said she's uncomfortable in it - HERE's Why

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I bought my wife a Oceanic Hera BCD - a 5 star on every website. Its a beauty! HOWEVER....My wife is very close to the ground. 5ft 1 inch to be exact. Her torso is very short. I bought a small BCD, and she is saying she wants something different. This thing was 600.00 and is 3 weeks old. I sat in the garage and looked at several different ways this thing could be configured for a custom fit, bottom-line...she needs a youth size or something... she says in the water she feels the 1st stage up against her head when she looks up, and i adjusted the tank up and down 4 times. she says the cumberbun is too low. I ajdusted the straps, the shoudler straps and all. I need to get rid of this bcd and go to the dive shop and have her spend as long as it takes fitting into a bcd that works for her. DOES anyone have any advice for the best BCD for women and the characteristics of a woman hips, torso, ect ect... i just need help advice on the best bcd for a short female. THANKs TO ANYONE THAT RESPONDS TO HELP!
:)

I'm 5'1" as well with very long legs and short torso. My best friend is 5'4" and our legs are the same length. I have a X-Small Sherwood Luna that I would like to get rid of. Mainly because I have too many BCD's and this one is a warm water BCD that doesn't provide quite enough lift for me to use in cold water. Each pocket holds 7lbs. and there's trim pockets too. But for warm water, it's super comfy to wear just in a swimsuit and looks great in pictures. It has the double tank strap - but careful she doesn't wear the tank band too high. And it has a bias cut at the hips which is comfy and gives the BCD an overall feminine look.

On the other hand, sometimes it IS just the BC. My first BC was the "highly touted and always recommended, BEST women's BC", the SeaQuest Diva. It was pretty comfortable on land, but I hated it with a passion the minute I started diving with it. Didn't matter how many times I adjusted it, I couldn't stop the tank roll, the shoulders riding up at the surface, and the feeling that it simply didn't fit. Off to ebay it went.

After an extensive hunt, I bought a Zeagle Zena and not only does it fit perfectly, once adjusted in the water, I never have tank roll or movement of any kind and my shoulders don't ride up. IMO that's how a BC should fit.

No question in my mind that this could be the same situation with the OP's wife and once she finds the BC that fits her perfectly, all will be good.

We can argue until the cows come home about which BC fits which woman best, but truly the only right answer is a BPW. It doesn't have any jacketing or vest that's precut for a certain body type. It has harnesses which can be adjusted to fit any body type, any gender, any age. The only thing to decide is the backplate's size.

Aren't the Hera and Zena the same BC? Oceanic vs Aeris which are basically the same company.

Zena is a Zeagle and not remotely similar to a Hera. A Zena is a corset and wing. The Hera is a jacket. Zeagle is an indepedent USA company, not part of Oceanic or Aeries.

MY gf is about 155cm tall and weights 40kgs. Pretty small.

She didnt find bp/w setup comfortable so she opted for the aqualung zuma pro instead.
Back inflate, pretty light, have a more durable material than the lighter zuma.

A BP/W may fit everyone, but it doesn't mean it is the most comfortable or the best choice for everyone.
This statement makes no sense. If it fits then it will be comfortable and it is the best choice.

People can use whatever BC they like, but some are simply better than others.

Zeagle makes a great product, in the USA, Florida even. Looks like the Zena comes in an XS and the chest size in custom sizable.

Zena - Recreational BCs - BCs - Zeagle Dive Systems

I have a Stiletto and think the product and especially customer service is excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom