Very Weak Arms

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba_Noob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Can/do people dive with very weak arms? I have a friend, and he was born with very weak arms. While he can still write and type, his arms are much smaller and weaker than average (shoulders are smaller as a result too). He can't fully extend his arms, and his fingers are especially weak.

I understand that it would likely be a problem with pushing the BCD, adjusting the mask/regulator, and even putting on (and keeping on) the equipment. But does anyone know if it's still possible with adjustments to the equipment?

Do you mean weak like "I have a medical problem and there is little chance of improvement" weak or weak like in "I don't work out and I was last in line when God was giving out testosterone" weak? It makes a difference because in the second case he will obviously have more options.

As for his ability to dive, assuming that he can adapt to do most things in life more or less normally then I would think he can learn to dive. He would need help with moving the gear around and his limitation may stop him from diving in certain conditions but on the whole the amount of mobility and upper body strength needed once you're in the water is pretty limited.

There are also instructors around, perhaps also in Victoria but certainly in Vancouver, who specialize in training people with disabilities. It might be worth your time to look one up and consult with them.

R..

Once in the water he will probably be a better diver than most. You don't need arms to swim in scuba. A lot of divers try to use their arms to turn and adjust direction and trim, which is in most cases just a silt generator.

Good Luck,

Dale

Can people with weak arms SCUBA dive? That is the question. Depends on the indivudual but I don't see why not if the following are true:
Individuals with total quadraplegia can and do SCUBA dive.
Indivuduals with no arms at all can and do SCUBA dive.
So given that the above is true, weak arms is less of a challenge than no arms or paralyzed arms, ergo the weak arms would not preclude the individual from SCUBA
The person with very weak arms would potentially need the following:
1. Medical evaluation - see it he or she is medically fit for SCUBA.
2. Training by a qualified Adaptive SCUBA Instructor is probably indicated as this individual may need to do some adataptations to SCUBA dive. From your description these may be minimal.
3. Indivudual in question may need help assymbling the gear (gear and weights may be too heavy) and putting on the gear, but then we all do. That is one of the reasons we have a dive buddy. Once in the water the legs are the primary proplusion to move forward, turn left, right or 360 or even backup (with the right fins and training).
4. Depening on the individuals abilities they may require a dive buddy with additional training as an adaptive dive buddy if they cannot work the SCUBA controls (inflator hose buttons etc). Your Handicapped SCUBA Associaiton International (HSA) Instructor can do this training too.
Contact your local Handicapped SCBUA Association International (HSA) instructor and start the training.
There is an HSA instructor in Victoria Canada and there is a strong HSA presense in Canada.

Can/do people dive with very weak arms? I have a friend, and he was born with very weak arms. While he can still write and type, his arms are much smaller and weaker than average (shoulders are smaller as a result too). He can't fully extend his arms, and his fingers are especially weak.

I understand that it would likely be a problem with pushing the BCD, adjusting the mask/regulator, and even putting on (and keeping on) the equipment. But does anyone know if it's still possible with adjustments to the equipment?

I would recomend a freediving class at a tropical resort....not scuba, for the first attemps. He will discover whether or not he likes diving, he would not require nearly as much arm strength for freediving, and would be far less "dependant" on other for diving to be feasible.....I think this is a real issue.... a scuba diver should not wANT TO BE HORRIBLY DEPENDANT on other divers. If he gets to be good at freediving, he will become strong in getting around in the ocean ( kicking around, moving at speed) and used to being good at what he is doing. Ultimately, if he decides to become a scuba diver, he could then get into it, knowing he is a powerful swimmer, and very competent in the water.....going stright to scuba from right now, could lead to a timid entrance, and poor learning because of it...along with the much lesser biofeedback available to a scuba diver trying to learn how to get around in the water...it is just way better with freediving--anything you do right or wrong, you pick up on it quickly.

Thanks for all the answers.

I guess I should have made it clearer. He has a genetic disease that caused him to be born with very weak arms. It's an actual handicap; he's not just weak because he doesn't work out or lacks testosterone (his legs are strong).

I understand that he doesn't need arms to swim, as most of the propulsion comes from the legs underwater.

Thanks especially to pasley. You answers were really helpful. I'll check to see if there's an adaptive scuba instructor nearby. The link was informative. I'm just worried about when he travels and dives at resorts, but I'm sure the instructor will teach him how to deal with that stuff. We'll see about freediving, though. Not sure he's interested in that.

HSA sponsors seveal trips to resorts in various places around the world and Dive Heart does as well. There are even travel agents that specialize in dive travel for the handicapped. HSA has a strong presence in Canada with Jean Chretien's son being an HSA Course directore there.

HSA instructors and dive buddies (both trained to SCUBA with paraplegic, quadraplegic, blind, amputee etc) are found in many countries around the world and can be accessed from the website www.hsascuba.com So traveling is not a big problem, and with his challenges it should not present a significant problem.

There is an HSA Training Center in Canada that can help you find someone local:
FREEDOM AT DEPTH
2 Rue De L’escale
Gatineau, Quebec J8Z 3R2 Canada
Telephone: +613-866-1143 or hchretien@freedomatdepth.ca

Sure he can dive!

I'm a quadriplegic and I'm doing it (learning.. total noob) so, sure it is possible. He needs to find an HSA Instructor and just get to it.

Just tell him not to get frustrated, things take a few attempts too tackle down, and perseverance.. But I find it extremely rewarding, no matter how much I currently depend on my buddy divers... I'm hooked on this hehe

Polett, since you brought up being hooked on diving: if your buddies offer to tow you behind the boat for a dive but first want to attach some hooks like this to your rig,
212319709.jpg
I think they're going fishing.

HSA sponsors seveal trips to resorts in various places around the world and Dive Heart does as well. There are even travel agents that specialize in dive travel for the handicapped. HSA has a strong presence in Canada with Jean Chretien's son being an HSA Course directore there.

HSA instructors and dive buddies (both trained to SCUBA with paraplegic, quadraplegic, blind, amputee etc) are found in many countries around the world and can be accessed from the website www.hsascuba.com So traveling is not a big problem, and with his challenges it should not present a significant problem.

There is an HSA Training Center in Canada that can help you find someone local:
FREEDOM AT DEPTH
2 Rue De L’escale
Gatineau, Quebec J8Z 3R2 Canada
Telephone: +613-866-1143 or hchretien@freedomatdepth.ca

Hubert tells me he spends a month each winter down south with his divers. He's been doing this for a long time and can hook you up with any information or connections you need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom