Scuabamau diving accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen plenty of beginner divers on Santa Rosa, they just stay at the shallower depths. Some dive ops have more stringent operating procedures regarding who they take where then others do.

Diving is a sport with risks. Even when a diver does everything right, bad things can happen. Things can go wrong at anytime for any diver on any dive. People need to understand that when they get into diving. Choosing one diving destination over another isn't going to change the odds of whether or not you become a dive accident victim.

If there is a diver who can 100% honestly say they have never once done anything dumb, gone against their better judgement or never pushed their personal comfort or skill level, I would love to meet them. Whether that was a factor here or not, I don't know and really, at this point I don't care. Insured or not, pushing our comfort or training limits, or staying well within them, any one of us could get hurt at some point and for a variety of reasons be in need of emotional and/or financial support to get through it. I would hope that if it was someone I know and care about it, there would be other divers willing to step up without judgement or superior, know it all attitude.

Christi thanks for the update. I have known Opal since she was at B.A. And Gabi almost as long, I have dove with both of them many times. They are both excellent divers. This forum is NOT the place for people to be complaining because they are not privy to the details of someone else's misfortune. It is a place for people who care about Opal , Gabi and Heath to share their feelings and get updates.
To Opal, you are in Christina and my thoughts constantly get better soon.
To Gabi , the same to you mi amigo, I think a diet of raw lionfish is best for you haha.
To Heath, best wishes on a speedy recovery
To everyone at ScubaMau, hang in my friends they will pull thru

Love you all, Tom

Last edited:
This whole "cloak and dagger" is killing me... I too would like to know what this statement means Christi....

Lee, I think what Christy meant is this:

Most recreational divers in Cozumel follow a generally standard profile - 1st-dive 70-80 feet, 2nd dive 40-60. I would venture to say up to 70% of shops and recreational divers follow profiles very close or similar to this, I'm sure most of Scuba Mau's trips do too. On a standart profile like this, a downdraft or downcurrent might take you from 80 feet to 110-120 or from 60 feet to 80-90. There are no downdrafts that take you from 80 feet to 300, period. I think this is what Christy was trying to say.

Like most here, I do not know any details of the dive plan, so anything I say is pure speculation, if downdrafts were a factor in what happened, and considering they were on a non-client private trip, it’s probably true that they were doing a deep dive to being with, which could have been aggravated by downcurrents. Again, this is merely speculation.

I too have prayed for them, and hope they make a full recovery.

Lee, I think what Christy meant is this:

Most recreational divers in Cozumel follow a generally standard profile - 1st-dive 70-80 feet, 2nd dive 40-60. I would venture to say up to 70% of shops and recreational divers follow profiles very close or similar to this, I'm sure most of Scuba Mau's trips do too. On a standart profile like this, a downdraft or downcurrent might take you from 80 feet to 110-120 or from 60 feet to 80-90. There are no downdrafts that take you from 80 feet to 300, period. I think this is what Christy was trying to say.

Like most here, I do not know any details of the dive plan, so anything I say is pure speculation, if downdrafts were a factor in what happened, and considering they were on a non-client private trip, it’s probably true that they were doing a deep dive to being with, which could have been aggravated by downcurrents. Again, this is merely speculation.

I too have prayed for them, and hope they make a full recovery.

CA,

This is what I started to believe as well once Christy started chiming in on this... However, I am leaving the door open for other events that could have happened but I trust this will all come out...! Thanks, lee

I can't imagine a downcurrent that would affect my dive to the extent that it would put me ino such danger. They happen in a heartbeat and after you are 30 feet down or so, you amend your dive plan. Easy enough to fix...assuming you have the air to do so.

Unfortunately a work related break from the boards left me oblivious to the terrible events of the last few days. I hope and pray for a good outcome for all divers involved. I have had the honor and pleasure to interact and dive with both Gabi and Opal and a nicer group of people you would be hard pressed to find. I pray for the best for all concerned and hope for a complete and speedy recovery.

To those that would doubt the safety of Cozumel because of this and last weeks event I think the responses to this tragic accident shows exactly the opposite and that infact divers have little to worry about. From a technical point of view Cozumel diving is a safe comfortable diving environment with dives that in the vast majority of cases are not overly challenging and almost witout exception every one of the 50 odd dive ops are safe quality outfits with DM's that arent just "passing thru" but have lived and dived the reefs of their beloved Island.

What has always stood out for me is the amazing camaraderie that exists in Cozumel and that means that even competing dive shops will stand in and help were needed. I doubt there is another forum that would have responded as this one has to a tragic event such as this and the fact that owners of competing dive shops are the first on the boards to offer help and assistance is proof of this.

Be well Opal, Gabi and Heath

Craig

It means that this dive would not have been planned for a vacationing diver and you would not be in a position to have the issues that led to this incident.
Nor should any visiting diver agree to participate in such an aggressive dive. We are all certed, and understand the limits of our training, gear and physiology.

Answered prayers. That is truly a miracle.

$$ sent, hoping for a quick and complete recovery.
Opal and Gabi are directly responsible for my love of scuba, and I've been on 40 or so dives with them over the last couple of years...Gabi took me on my first 'real' dive after I was certified, and Opal talked me into my first midnight dive (and made sure I was OK all the way down and up)... There are no finer people around, and I hope to see them both up and around the shop soon...
Hugs to all of the scuba mau crew...I wish I could be there.
:(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom