Silver Prince / Aquatic Discovery Scuba Center - thanks for the spam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dack

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've dived the Silver Prince in Monterey nearly a dozen times now, and I really hate to post this because the regular crew - Captain Mike and deckhand Todd - are outstanding. The boat may be a little slow, but these guys who regularly work it are the absolute best.

Sorry to them, but Raj - the owner - isn't on the same page. It's unfortunate that a couple bad experiences can ruin goodwill. I'm not sure if I'll dive them again.

First, my local dive shop chartered them for an Advanced Open Water dive and I tagged along. Sadly it was a different crew since Mike and Todd were on vacation. The boat was overbooked, the crew arrived late, the captain was incapable of setting anchor at any dive spot deeper than 65 feet (oh...is that enough for your deep dive specialty?), the deckhand was incapable of pulling up anchor, and in a few instances they sat there without helping while someone was climbing back aboard. I wrote to let the owners know of the crew problem, and it wasn't until nearly a month later that I got a reply acknowledging the problem.

Then yesterday I received an advertisement from 'Aquatic Discovery Scuba Center'. It didn't take long to figure out they'd borrowed the Silver Prince charter e-mail list to start off their dive shop business mailing list. Very uncool.

Clean up your act, Silver Prince owners. You're ruining it for your outstanding crew.

- Dack

An email list isn't necessarily 'spam'. Did you ask them to be removed from it, before making this public complaint?

Most people, myself included, consider "Unsolicited Commercial Email" spam. If I volunteer my email address for one purpose (so the Silver Prince can contact me regarding my reservation) and find it used for another purpose (Aquatic Discovery Scuba Center), I'd consider that SPAM.

There should be no reason that someone should have to ask to be removed from an email list, especially one used in a commercial nature. They should be asked if they want to sign up!

Most people, myself included, consider "Unsolicited Commercial Email" spam.

I completely agree.

I own several domains so I make up a unique email to use for any company that requires one. If I ever get anything unwanted on that email, I just permanently redirect it to their support, sales, abuse and any other address I can find. If they cant be trusted to keep the address for the purpose they requested it for, they can deal with the fallout. Let them request to be removed.

Private complaints sometimes help that single person. Public complaints help a business improve for everyone. Thanks Dack.

Hmm sad to hear, with the Cypress gone I was considering getting my scuba gang together and trying out the Silver Prince. I guess I still might but it will be with a sense of caution and they can only have my throw away spam can email address :p.
I have been out a few times on the Escapade, but found it pricey for the low level of feature comforts (fast though, and good crew IMO).

A good caution for a any business should be treat email as opt in and those who trust you with their address like gold.

IIRC Silver Prince is associated with Aquatic Discovery. I'm not sure of their exact relationship though (i.e. owners, operators, associate, etc).

I've been on the SP several time and for running my own charters they are my go to boat. Great prices and great crew. I've had a few issues with Raj but nothing that couldn't be handled with understanding and clear communication.

Without going into details (since it is irrelevant IMO) I did have a problem with Raj when booking a charter for my birthday. But Mike and Todd more than made up for any chartering issues.

IIRC Silver Prince is associated with Aquatic Discovery. I'm not sure of their exact relationship though (i.e. owners, operators, associate, etc).

IIRR they own it. They bought it from MBDC around the time they folded. Searching this forum sometime between 8/2009 and maybe 2/2010 should find reference to it - I know there were threads discussing it.

Guy

I did a two tank dive off the Silver Prince today. First time I have been out with them. Captain Ron and the DM Steve were very nice and cool... However not sure how I feel about paying 75 for a glorified shore dive. I understand when conditions prohibit a longer range trop

it's nice having a dry cabin area but it's not exactly plush (not the Cypress sea for example).

First issue was I found out that they do not have a compressor. This is a major limiting factor, also it was not made explicitly clear when booking.. actually it was not mentioned at all. when asked if needed tanks I said No, I'll bring my own tank". see the little verbal disconnect there :p?

Second issue compounded by the first was they had a number of tanks that were very short fills (or maybe not filled) but like half pressure. So they had to motor over to glens to pick up tanks... that burned some time.

Then one of the engines failed, and would not restart at all. They spent about a hour trying to get that fixed and talking to the owner etc. but it was a no go.

So, we limped out and did to reasonable nice dives by the Aquarium and and Maccabees, but it was kind of glorified shore diving.

Now I get that things happen. I also get that I guess they can't get a compressor now. something about the coast guard not certifying anymore or some such. No clue on the details.

All and all though not the best boat trip I have had, and I did miss the speed of the Escapade.

For the gear check stuff i was doing it was fine, but if I had loaded up on photo gear or somthing I would have been extra cranky.

huh? this is ocean man! S$@T happens!. Silver Prince and any other boat crew around here are the best folks to hang around with.
Diesels die. Waves happen. You have to plan your dive including gas, never assume anything, assumptions kill :(
Never hurts to ask what you getting yourself into :)

Well, not even a week after posting. Raj outdid himself in a rage of GREED!!!
I withdraw my previous comment.. Silver Prince has a great team but i will not dive it again.. ever.
End of last week we receive an promotion email about 50% off charter this saturday on Silver prince.. Sure thats a good deal!
So we get 3 spots, knowing very well that SP diesel can go bad (did on us 2 times), that weather can be bad, and so on..in last 4
trips to Carmel, we only made there once :(

So trip leaves at 9am so seems to be like a good arrangements., and we can drive same day in and out.
However today i receive email saying that departure had been moved to 7AM ! WTF?!
Now we have to leave san francisco at 5AM!? and guess what , all of the sudden i see afternoon trip on same day...
So in order to fit 2 trips on the same day, he bumps full morning charter to 2 hours earlier, making this to require hotel now., or extra $150 per monterey weekend last minute pricing. so my $50 trip now $200 trip. CANCEL PLEASE!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom