Anyone see Mola Mola's in Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really great video! I didn't know there was a line leading out towards the barge - can you tell me any more about it?

Far way from Monterey but the world's most reliable place to see them is in Bali July-November if you ever get a chance to go

Did I read mola frisbee? Photo was shot over 4,000ft of water.
Sea lion vs mola mola.jpg

also remember to look up every now and again as the Mola's are probably higher up in the water column than the standard diver.

Really great video! I didn't know there was a line leading out towards the barge - can you tell me any more about it?

Hi,
If you are still interested by the barge in Monterey, here is the way that I use , from the shore to find it :
1) it's a very long swimm, I will not try to do it with only one single tank.
2) Between the wall and the barge, a lot of boat at the surface, I can hear it. So you do not want to go at the surface, and if you have to, be carrefull and use a signal SMB and cross your fingers.
I am done with the disclaimers , if you need more, send me a PM :wink:

I follow the wall at San Carlos Beach (breakwater), until the peer 13. Actually, I swimm underwater and when I reach 15/16m (50ft or a little more) on the bottom of the wall, I know that I'am at the right place, but I go to the surface to check. (if you know the place, you can probably recognize the right spot without to go to the surface)

From the bottom of peer 13, I follow an angle with the compas between 330 and 340 (almost the North). You should find a line on the sand and the line start with a plastic bottle that is 50cm above the sand (I hope I am clear, sorry)
If you follow angle 320 you will miss the line, that should be on your right.
If you follow angle 350 you will miss the bottle (on your left) but you can still be lucky and find the line, but it's hidden in the sand at some place.
From the wall to the line, you should not spend more than 2 long minutes to find the line.

Follow the line, it's a long swimm. Check my video The Mola-Mola's Barge of Breakwater - YouTube at 5min05 you will have more details about the profil.
[video=youtube_share;uPmFthkSDz4]http://youtu.be/uPmFthkSDz4[/video]
I usually spend less than 10min to reach the end of the line. I swimm very slowly (I am using a rebreather, no effort allowed with this machine).

Important : From the end of the line to the barge, there is a short distance (20meters) without line. It's easy to find the barge, but more difficult to find the line on your way back. That's why I usually put a line from the end of the line to the barge, and I attach a light on my line on the barge to find it.

I hope this will be helpfull
Mickael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom