What to do with old drysuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My Bare Nexgen zipper broke this weekend so I decided to buy a new drysuit. The Nexgen isn't flashy but it's kept me warm and dry for 8 years and I'm going to go out and buy the same model. I considered repairing the zipper but realized it's $300 to do the work and I'm still left with an old suit. The seals are still decent but it's probably only a matter of time before something else goes, which is the reason I'm opting to buy new. What should I do with the old suit?

Repair the zipper and sell it for cheap?
Cannibalize it for parts?
Chuck it?
Another option?

I would see if I could purchase a tizip and replace it your self.

I've found it useful to have a backup suit. Given that, it might be worth investing in a zipper and a DIY repair. Failing that, there may be a local diver who is willing to do that if they can get the suit very cheaply.

Drysuit repair is not that hard. It does require using nasty chemicals, and some finesse. The required tools are pretty simple and even if they need to be purchased would be paid for after the first repair.

A suit in need of repair isn't worth much.

Thanks for the replies folks. I think I might try to fix it myself. I don't think it's worth much to be honest, so trying my hand at replacing the zipper might be a good learning experience with little risk at stake.

I have a zipper I need to get rid of since it is too long for any of my suits. If you measure yours let me know what size it is. Willing to make a good deal on a brand new zipper.

Repair and use as backup, or repair and sell to beginner drysuit diver cheaply (help a friend).

Back
Top Bottom