Favorite Front Range LDS?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Look around there a lot of good shops with different focus and they all have a target market. Some will charge a lot for equipment maintenance but when the job is done you know it was done well by a professional and it is unlikely to fail on you somewhere where you can't get it fixed. A1 fits that category. Instruction varies all over the place. I have seen good and average instructors in about every shop I have ever dealt with. I travel a long way to Flatirons in Broomfield because of their technical training. They are are good sized shop who really seem to know who their customers are and care about them. A1 is a large shop with a large number of customers but still if you go in there a few times they often remember who you are. Funny thing is I have heard a lot about UP in Lakewood lately and how good it is. I live very close to that shop and have never used it because I never got the good vibe when I was in there. Shops and owners change. Maybe I would be really happy with UP today if I went back in. As far as costs go I try to buy with whatever shop I train with. If you really want the best deal you are going to buy off of the internet but when I do that I always feel guilty since I know the local shop needs a higher price and these guys aren't making a killing off of the business.

Look around there a lot of good shops with different focus and they all have a target market.

I agree. It would be helpful if the OP indicated if there were a specific need or quality they were looking for.

Some will charge a lot for equipment maintenance but when the job is done you know it was done well by a professional and it is unlikely to fail on you somewhere where you can't get it fixed.

I hope you are not implying that high fees equals good service. I have NOT found any correlation to that in diving, or any other product/service I have been involved in procuring over the last 35+ years in that business.

While it is true you must pay a fair price for the work performed, paying more almost NEVER yields a better job. Do you think you will get a better Big Mac if you pay more for it? Better gas at the filling station simply because you pay more for it? I seriously doubt it. I can submit that if you pay way under the fair price, you will likely get poorer quality, but can't guarantee that. A lot goes into (or should go into) pricing goods and services. Much of that is not apparent to the consumer. I've procured great quality goods and services for way under market value, just so the company could stay in business until better times came around. I must admit that I never knowingly procured the most expensive goods or service. I don't believe in "gold plating".

That said, I learned my expensive lesson - the destruction of a regulator - the hard way. I now either perform my own work, or find a shop that will do a good job in the specific work I'm looking for. It would be nice if a single shop had the corner on all the scuba goods and services, but I don't know of one who does - at least in Colorado. But a show who has good customer service and really cares about the customer is much more likely to fix a problem when it come up, than one who doesn't.

Instruction varies all over the place. I have seen good and average instructors in about every shop I have ever dealt with.

I am a non-practicing Dive Professional. I have worked with and witnessed excellent to below average instructors in Colorado and the Caribbean . I do agree most fall in the good to average range.

I travel a long way to Flatirons in Broomfield because of their technical training. They are are good sized shop who really seem to know who their customers are and care about them.

I too travel a long way to Boulder (from Colorado Springs) for my technical training. I'm told that Ocean First Divers (OFD) is the only shop that has DIR-type post fundamentals training. I could be wrong. They also have the best stocked showroom I've seen, especially for post recreational equipment, in Colorado. I openly admit I have not visited all the shops in Denver area though. I think this point further supports the need to know what goods and services one is looking for - since it is doubtful that a single shop will be the best at everything.

As far as costs go I try to buy with whatever shop I train with. If you really want the best deal you are going to buy off of the internet but when I do that I always feel guilty since I know the local shop needs a higher price and these guys aren't making a killing off of the business.

I do an awful lot of shopping off the internet. Sometimes it is because of a good deal or sale (I got a lot on Black Friday Sales) but just as important is that I can get it just as fast, in many cases. Many shops don't carry tech gear. And those that do are 200-300 miles (round trip) away. So, if I'm in the area, and they have it in stock, I'll buy it. But, they often have to order it, and I can't see driving 400-600 miles to buy something I can have delivered to my house sooner and cheaper.

I recognize that dive training is not a money maker for the dive shops, and selling equipment to trainees is a major source of income. I try to direct potential buyers to dive shops when they aren't sure what they want. There is nothing like a well stocked dive shop to try on various masks to see which fits the best. Some even let you try them on in the pool. That's pretty hard to do with a large internet distribution reseller.

I have visited the LDS in the Denver-Metro area including Boulder. I haven't been to the ones in CO Spgs. I have found all of them to be friendly. I visited most places prior to taking my OW class. A1 was the only one that took me on the full tour of the shop, introduced me to all of the people including the instructors that were in the shop that day and the owners. I have gone on trips with them and purchased most of my gear through them I have had my gear serviced with them and have been pleased with the customer service. They all know me when I walk in the door and usually take to time to say HI even if I have come in just to look. I have had issues with 1 piece of equipment and it was quickly resolved to my complete satisfaction.

I am closer to other shops but I continue to drive further because I am pleased with the service I get there. I am sure there are people that don't share my opinion but that is why there is more than one shop, not everyone likes the same thing.

Hi Waterskier1, I think we are in agreement. High price does not always equal good service. I guess my point is you can trust the job at A1 and you if you take the lowest cost repair sometimes you get what you pay for. I am sure other shops do a great job and probably for less money. A1 is never going to be your cheapest option. I know of other divers who have had bad experiences with shops repairing equipment but I doubt any shop would ever intentionally cut corners on life support equipment. I do know Ken is a solid repair tech who cares. Last time I brought my regs in he told me that next time I dropped in the water (twice !) I should just blow the water out of them and they would be fine and not need servicing. As far as do it yourself goes I would love to do my own service and hope to learn but the first reg I tore apart I ruined the valve seat and could not get a replacement since most reg manufacturers won't sell you parts and it is hard to scrounge them up. You sure do travel a long ways to get training, they must be a good bunch. Flatirons is more of the GUE bent and they do stock technical gear but they definitely favor Halcyon and it's premium price. As far as if GUE is DIR goes I am but a lowly fundamentals student and will not venture into the holy war territory. Flatirons does offer full tech training after GUE fundamentals under NAUI but taught to GUE standards. Now I need to quit writing and go hang in the water where hopefully I won't blow out to the surface again during my 5 ft minimum deco stops :)

I too travel a long way to Boulder (from Colorado Springs) for my technical training. I'm told that Ocean First Divers (OFD) is the only shop that has DIR-type post fundamentals training.
Rick--do you know something I don't? Unless things have changed in the past couple of weeks, OFD has stopped offering its post recreational UTD program and has pretty much stopped its tech oriented work. The last I heard they were no longer even doing helium fills.

Flatirons is more of the GUE bent and they do stock technical gear but they definitely favor Halcyon and it's premium price. As far as if GUE is DIR goes I am but a lowly fundamentals student and will not venture into the holy war territory. Flatirons does offer full tech training after GUE fundamentals under NAUI but taught to GUE standards.
That is correct. Rob is a certified GUE instructor through fundamentals, and his NAUI tech instruction has a definite GUE edge to it. (There was a very feeble joke in there for those who picked it out).

Rick--do you know something I don't? Unless things have changed in the past couple of weeks, OFD has stopped offering its post recreational UTD program and has pretty much stopped its tech oriented work. The last I heard they were no longer even doing helium fills.

No, but it seems you know something I don't! I have not been in contact with the shop in the last couple weeks. Last I knew George was conducting classes this month at Rock Lake.

I haven't kept in touch since I'm undergoing a total hip replacement in a few weeks, and therefore am not planning on diving until probably after the first of the year.

My apologies to readers for not keeping up to date on all the dive shop's goings on.

That is correct. Rob is a certified GUE instructor through fundamentals, and his NAUI tech instruction has a definite GUE edge to it. (There was a very feeble joke in there for those who picked it out).

You certainly have an edgy sense of humor (OK even more feeble)

Just a followup... A couple of months ago, I had no clue but now I definitely know... Underwater Phantaseas in Greenwood Village is my favorite. It's still early but so far they have far surpassed any experience I've had in the shops I used in Ohio and Texas. We had our gear serviced and that all went exceptionally well. While it wasn't the fastest turn-around time, the final price came in under what was estimated and now unnecessary service was performed. On top of that, they horned the warranty which was a couple months overdue with any hassle. Also, a couple weekends ago, we did our Altitude Diver Specialty with the nicest group of fellow students, instructors and DM's out at Aurora Reservoir. Not only was it a great time meeting local divers, we felt the instruction was top notch with a big emphasis on safety. And when it was all done, they drug out a BBQ grill and fed us all then proceeded to hand out free t-shirts! I don't know if all dive shops here operate this way but being that UP does unlike any other I have visited, makes them tops on my list and eager to pursue, once again, my DM certification.

Back
Top Bottom