Finding underwater settings on a e-pl2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luv2 dive

New
Reaction score
I was wonder how and where they are. Noticed that it shows how to program on fn button, but not how find them on the camera? Found how to set white balance, but not underwater mode?

Mostly I think you don't really want to use underwater mode. You will be "better off" learning to shoot manual mode and in raw
Bill

You will be "better off" learning to shoot manual mode and in raw

Why?

Why "manual mode" instead of, say, "A" (aperture priority) mode? Set you Ap. to get the right DoF and let the camera decide on shutter speed -- what's wrong with that (especially if dependent on a strobe)?

I know some people really like raw instead of high res jpeg -- but for most purposes, IS there a signficant difference? How many times, and under what circumstances, does RAW really result in a superior image?

You do have to enable this mode on the Fn button or the red movie button in the right top corner of the camera back. There is no ability to access this mode from the menu. I assume one would only consider using it if they were not using a flash.

Thanks scottfiji I didn't realize that the flash would default to 1/60th of second in A mode. Do you set shutter speed an aperature in M mode and then use TTL or do you use manual flash? I am moving up from a housed C5060 to the Olympus housed EPL2 with a single Inon S2000 flash and it is this type of information that will hopefully make the transition easier.

The A mode in this camera is very useful. It allows you to pick the shutter speed range allowed, when you turn the flash on. The same speed limits apply to P mode to I am guessing.

So you can set it to never go below 1/100th and it will go up to 1/180, which is the fastest flash sync speed. Not much range, but a little.

The other interesting trick, when the metering works, is to use auto ISO in M mode. You have to turn on a special setting to allow this. And let it use 1/3 stop ISO values.

You could do that same thing in the A mode, with the SS range so limited, it should not get too carried away with ISO if you use a reasonable aperture.

I would still like to know how to put in underwater mode? to play with it and compare

Put the camera in p mode and than use the function button. Wide angle/Macro choice

Auto ISO is bad news, IMHO on these cameras. I tried this and it was always making ridiculous choices...... like jacking the ISO up to gain more sensitivity instead of opening up the lens to let in more light.... for example.... you end up with needlessly noisy pictures.

I set the camera on "M" -- select appropriate shutter speed... usually in the range of 1/125 and aperture between F8 and smaller.... depending on what DOF I want. Set the on-camera flash to 'fill' and the strobes to TTL. This works 90% of the time and gives me an exposure that ranges from dead-on to close-enough-to-correct-in-Lightroom. Shoot RAW, of course.

For the other 10% its full manual.... Camera stays the same, I set shutter/Fstop for background exposure and DOF desires, and the strobes go to manual. This can get tricky, but with practice, you can gauge the exposure of a scene within a stop or two by just looking at it.

No matter what else I do, ISO always stays on 200. I've used 400 occasionally with "OK" results.... anything higher and its way too noisy for my liking. I'm spoiled by my land cameras..... Canon 5D2 and 7D -- too bad I can't afford to house them for underwater use.... :depressed:

That is why I suggested using auto iso only in M mode. You retain control of DOF, and freezing motion, and use the metering to set the ISO, to match what you have preselected. That way it cannot go wild with iso, since you are only giving it one degree of freedom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom