Solo Diver and Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Suunto Gekko becomes a Vyper, and thereby downloadable; and could be considered "affordable". Google "suunto tools" to achieve this. I don't think it is available from any retailers anymore, but I have seen them on ebay now and again.

The Suunto Gekko becomes a Vyper, and thereby downloadable
To be precise, a patched Gekko is still a Gekko, no more and no less. It does not have gauge mode, etc. The only thing the patch does is change the name the computer calls itself when you download it. It calls itself "Vyper", but in functionality (and in data provided) it is 100% Gekko.

(The Zoop is nothing more than an orange Gekko with a name that Suunto Dive Manager has on its list of computers to talk to.)

As for computers when I'm solo diving, I wear the same pair I wear on other dives. When soloing, they verify each other (if the numbers don't match precisely enough, I know something's afoot). When I'm leading dives or working with students, on the other hand, two computers means that if one dies, I can still finish the trip/checkout dives/whatever. I do very much like downloading all my data, but in my case, it's lagniappe, not the main idea.

To be precise, a patched Gekko is still a Gekko, no more and no less. It does not have gauge mode, etc...

Thanks for clarifying that.

I got the same responce from the a year or so ago. they wanted me to buy a new unit for $1400+ and that was with my Nemesis II in trade. I will dive it untill I can't trust it or it fails then buy a "Dive Rite". Dive rite has better customer relations.........

Welcome to ScubaBoard, Spelodiver. (BTW, you should fill in more of your profile so we can know a bit more about you and your diving experiences.)

Like you, I've decided to use mine until it breaks, too. We should be a bit careful, though, since it can no longer be calibrated by Cochran.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom