Anyone see Mola Mola's in Monterey?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDante

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone seen Mola Mola's while diving in Monterey area? I'm heading down this weekend and next and would like to increase my chances of seeing them. If anyone has some tips on where to go or how to find them, please let me know.

Thanks!

The sea lions like to bite their fins off and then toss them around like a Frisbee. (Gives a new definition to the term animal cruelty.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't like using the term frisbee, it makes me laugh and then I feel bad....

For shore diving, the only places I've ever spotted Mola mola were at the Breakwater (San Carlos Beach/Coast Guard Jetty) on Cannery Row. If you follow the wall you have a good chance of seeing one above you.
Another site is the Metridium Fields which is also at the Breakwater. I've seen numerous Mola mola's on the way there, although only 1 of those sightings was a living-swimming Mola mola. :(

I'm sure they frequent many other places, this is just my experience.

I've seen them at Breakwater, McAbee Beach, and Lovers Pt. It is hard to plan to see them. It is sort of luck. I have not seen them for a month or two. Breakwater would be your best bet.

After the sea lions get done with them, the sea stars eat them on the sea floor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom