pony bottle-open or closed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also have another question since I'm pretty interested in the subject, could anyone post pics of their setups? I would like to see both back mount and sling. Also more info on how to sling it would be great. Also, does anyone use both a back mount system and an argon/DS inflation system that is back mount? Pics would be great. TIA

sorry to :hijack:

Here is my back mount setup.
-I have one setup with a 6 and one with a 13, they are very similar.
-The 6 is pretty small and would not purchase on again, but this one still sees use and is adequate to 75'
-My setup is biased to OW bailout and minimal size, no deco/overhead.
-My pony use is selective depending on buddy (or lack of), so I always have an octo.
-This in turn drives me to mount the second in a location to prevent mix ups.
-The pony is dived "ON" so I do have a risk a undetected free flow
-The 2nd stage cracking pressure is set relatively high which reduces the change of free flow significantly.
-I have over 100 dives on this configuration personally I like it and had no issues.

I also sling a 40 on occasion. I find it a bit big and bulky for my typical dives. For others it might be a more appropriate size.

IMG_0496.JPG

Last edited:
I've never carried a pony but several posters have indicated that they would use the pony or hand it (if slung?) to an OOA buddy. When you carry a pony do you ditch your octopus? I would think that a pony is your last resort and if a buddy is OOA, then you give him your primary and use your octopus. This is an interesting conversation and I am also wondering is there any formal word on this from any agency?

I use a pony in place of an octo, so if the primary goes south I am ending the dive.

If my buddy needs my air they get my primary and the dive is over.

I setup this way mainly for diving solo.

If I plan on using the pony as backup gas on a deep dive I have a primary, an octo, and my pony. The pony is not used unless the primary/octo air fails (never has happened).

I mount the pony on my primary tank. It is a CF19 with a standard reg/SPG. My air is always on when diving and it is no more prone to failure than my primary tank.

A pony could be used to extend a shallow dive (20'-30'), but an AL80 runs me over 2hrs at that depth so I've never used my pony. In fact, except for practice, I've never needed my pony or second. :D Seems like a waste, but it is there if needed.

I sling either a 19, 30, 40, or now 80. In my intro to tech class we were taught charged at the surface, on then off again at turn point, then on and left on for the ascent. This is how I teach it in my AOW classes for the advanced skills dive. Up until a couple weeks ago I was also using a Sherwood for one of my regs. This got charged more often due to the dry bleed system. I've now replaced that with a HOG and will be selling the Sherwood or setting up another back up reg for recreational stuff.

My GF and I are doing the SDI Solo course next weekend. I'm interested to see how the instructor teaches it for that. I also consider the slung bottle MY GAS. I'm not going to hand off a reg and bottle to an OOA diver and risk them panicking and taking off with it and getting hurt. They'll get the long hose primary and I'll go on my octo or the stage so I can keep some kind of control of the situation.

I would also advise than anyone who is considering getting one to actually use it! Doesn't have to be every dive but on a dive weekend you should actually deploy it and go to it for an ascent or 10 minutes during the swim to stay sharp and build muscle memory for it.

...we were taught charged at the surface, on then off again at turn point, then on and left on for the ascent.

I would like to double-check what I'm reading in this. I think I'm getting that you turn it on and charge it at the beginning of the dive but then turn it OFF for the dive. Then at the turn point you turn it on and (re) charge it and then turn it OFF again (?). And then you turn it on and charge it again just before the ascent and leave it ON.

Thanks in advance for clarifying,
Blue Sparkle

Yes. That's correct. This ensures a free flow is not going to empty the bottle, the turning off and on at the turn point makes sure that the reg is still charged in case it was bumped accidentally, and for the ascent turned on again left on. This builds muscle memory as well as guarantees me I have two breaths or so during which I'm turning the valve on. Been doing this for 3 years now and it is no longer a process that requires thought. It is instinct and I don't need to look at the valve when turning it on or look to grab the second stage.

What you have to remember is that "freeflow" can take many forms. It is not always a huge rush of bubbles. A trickle can result in the loss of a considerable amount of gas. And in a small bottle like a 6,13, and even a 19 over an hour long dive could result in a very unpleasant surprise whne you really need that gas. Those who don't dive in low vis, dark water, or areas with heavy vegetation don't realize that a free flow could occur and you would not notice it. All of my pony or stage regs have spg's on them I can read easily. I just replaced one of those button gauges because it;s too hard to read. Two have 2 inch gauges that work well but I really love the HOG 1.5 inch ones I have on my main stage set ups. Putting a reg on a pony with no guage "is like wiping before you poop" to quote Larry the Cable Guy. It makes no sense and can result in a real mess.

I sometimes use a 19cf pony while diving. Mine has a conventional yoke valve. After checking the reg. I leave the valve open and ready should I need it. I was just told that the "correct" way to dive with a pony is to keep the valve closed, as in rare situations the reg. could loosen and separate from the pony bottle. I'd appreciate some feedback on this.

Interesting to hear the different perspectives. I have it back mounted with my reg. and a small SPG sitting right in front, so while I can't see a leak, I can easily deal with a free-flow and can monitor pressure with the SPG. While my buddy should let me know if there's a leak, I prefer not to rely on him/her, especially if I'm paired up with someone I don't know (unless I'm with my club, I'm a solo diver). Thanks for all your comments.

I also have another question since I'm pretty interested in the subject, could anyone post pics of their setups?

Well it was pleasant for more than a day ... :eyebrow:

Supermano.jpg

P10100802.jpg

P10100813.jpg

P10100603.jpg

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii-ohana/204383-carthaginian-shore.html

photo gallery moved ...

Carthaginian 007 - halemano's Photos | SmugMug

i use a 30 and leave mine open! once i forgot to turn it on before entry and when i finally did the o-ring leaked,rendering it useless! always on for me!!

That is an AL30, on an AL100.

Funny you should mention scooter storage during a dive ...

I am considering making two long shallow scooter dives, in either direction from a moored kayak. I am wary of leaving a full dive set and a scooter in the kayak while I am away on the first dive, so I am planning to hang them at 30 feet, or just leave them on the bottom.

If you had ever held on to the handles of an Apollo AV-1 for over an hour, you would probably understand better. :coffee:

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom