i tried to fly out today and i ended up being bent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blastman4444

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I want this to be a warning to anyone that reads flying 22 hrs after diving. Im writing to you from the most expensive hotel room you can get a hospital bed at St Marys in west palm beach FL. Friday morning i dove 2 100ft dives on air 40min 45surface 17min down again on a wreck in Key west. I took off at 7:20am the next day back to phoenix when the aircraft got to about 10 k feet started to feel strange my left hand and arm started to tingle then my right arm and both legs.I knew exactly what happened. the plane landed back at the airport and i was air lifted a helocopter here spent 5 hrs in the chamber on 100% o2. I had all my gear in my checked bags so i might not have the exact time correct just going from memory. I learned a lesson could have been a lot worse. Im still feeling the tingle in my leg off o2 so ill do another dive in the chamber again tomorrow morning.

Yikes. The plane had to turn around because of your medical emergency.

Just thinking out loud here..
Back-to-back 100 fsw dives on air with a 45 min surface interval in-between. That's not my idea of fun, particularly for a beginner.

Could you elaborate a little on how much diving you did on your vacation in Key West? (how many dive days, # dives/day, max depth, etc.)
Also, I'd be interested to know whether you went into "deco" during your dives. If not, did you ever get into single-digit NDLs? What brand of computer were you using?

Did you experience any other DCS symptoms beyond the tingling in your extremities? Numbness? Weakness? Paralysis?
How certain is the hyperbaric physician of the DCS diagnosis?

Was this a multilevel dive? If 100ft for 40 minutes - well we know that's an issue. Surface interval seems very short for a second 100' dive - or any depth really after doing a 100' dive.

Also, any safety stops?

The doc is sure its dcs the chamber operators said my symptoms were evident of bubbles around the spine. 20 min after in the chamber my legs felt a lot better plus catscan showed normal ruled out stroke. So the first dive was close to deco my computer was still showing no deco, but not a deco 2nd dive was not close to deco we didnt stay long at 100. We did our safety stops and had no dsc symptoms the rest of the day. Not untle the next morning at 10k feet i started to feel the joint pain as well it wasn't fun but the doc said if i had not turned the plane I could have ended up parlized. He said they see guys that don't show up until the are draging a foot or can't urenate.

The dives were not at a 100 for 40 we touched a hundred mod of computer resourcepro Im using a droid post laptop is with my wife at the hotel. The only other dive did last week was on Tuesday a reef dive to 34 feet in key largo total time was about 32min. This was cut short because my wife was having problems with her equipment and it was a rough day plus jelly fish.

the problem happened at fort lauderdale airport that is where we took off from and landed back at they said west palm was closer then Miami which Im told those are the only 2 for dsc

Back
Top Bottom